VMware Communities
WIZZs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMware Authorisation service won't start after update to v14.1.0

Hi,

After updating VMWare to v. 14.1.0 and a computer restart, the VMware Authorisation service wasn't started.

I tried to start it manually (via msconfig and services.msc), but that didn't work either (please see attachment for errormessage).

Now I restored a back-up of my system, so I'm back on v14.0.0

Is this a known issue and how can it be solved?

Regards,

Stef Merlijn

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Have you tried "Repair" installation?

If the repair does not work, perhaps a full download of 14.1.0 and re-install could be the next step.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Have you tried "Repair" installation?

If the repair does not work, perhaps a full download of 14.1.0 and re-install could be the next step.

0 Kudos
tdmomega77
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can confirm that a repair appears to do the trick.  I ran in to the same issue this morning on Windows 10 version 1709 (Fall Creators Update), and a repair fixed my issue.  Thanks for the idea.

0 Kudos
WIZZs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you very much! It worked here too.

0 Kudos
DodgeDeBoulet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you experience this and happen to look in Event Viewer, you'll notice an error from vmauthd that complains of an incompatibility with a different-level version of vmmon.exe. So the "in-place" upgrade is not doing the right thing with regard to vmmon.exe. Downloading the full install and running the installation executable as Administrator fixed the issue for me.

0 Kudos
wavetyler
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Had the same issue this morning after upgrading to 14.1.0. (Thanks for the lost productivity, again. - each of my last two upgrades have gone amiss) Restarted, that didn't fix it, Shutdown, that didn't fix it.  Tried to start service manually, and also saw that the event log stated a version issue with vmmon. Ran the repair, and it locked up on cleaning up the legacy network drivers (a problem I continue to have). Tried to cancel, won't cancel. Shutdown, won't shut down. This application sure is a sour pickle. Had to force shutdown. After restart, I attempted to reinstall the full download (with administrator) and no luck.  Locked on the network drivers again.  I had to fully UNINSTALL and REINSTALL to get this to work.  I'm beyond frustrated at my loss of time.

0 Kudos
pelumu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Repair did the trick here too. Thanks!!!

0 Kudos