VMware Communities
tgarson
Contributor
Contributor

VMware 6.0 Suse, 10.2 host, XP guest: Slower than beta was

My system:

Athlon 4800+ 64 bit dual core processor with Nvidia nForce Ultra/4 chip set and 1.5GB RAM.

Nvidia GeForce 7600GT video with 256MB. (using nVidia drivers)

Host O/S: Suse 10.2 with 2.6.18.8-0.5 kernel

Guest O/S: XP w/SP2 + whatever else MS stuffs down its throat.

Initially after startup, VMware 6.0 seems to run the same as, or even a bit slower than, the last betas did. It also gets slower and slower as time goes on when it is running. It gets especially herky jerky. Eventually I have to close it down or it will bring my entire system to its knees. I have to reboot the (real) computer to restore full peak performance. As long as I do not start VMware, the system stays quick and responsive. I rarely shut it down.

For perspective, my Windows applications loaded on my old Thinkpad A31 with a 2.4GHz Pentium 4M (NOT Centrino) and Windows 2000 runs rings around their performance on this system. Any of those Windows applications that will run in Wine (Crossover Office) are stable and very fast. I have VMware specifically for running particular CAD programs that do not like Wine. Their performance under the VMWare beta was acceptable and I hoped for better with the non debug mode release code.

Any help getting this working at reasonable speed and stability would be very appreciated...

Tom G.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
tgarson
Contributor
Contributor

This is my own answer:

I have no idea why this worked. For reasons unrelated to VMware, I reinstalled the same version of Linux on my computer (Suse 10.2) and ran all updates, just as before. After running the VMware configuration, using the same files and same virtual machine as before, its performance was back to the expected level. Go figure......

0 Kudos