VMware Communities
mw73
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware 16.2.3 not working on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

After up grading from Ubuntu 20.04 LTS to 22.04; I tried to start VMware Workstation Pro and I got the message "Unable to install all modules" and it referred me to an error log file which I have attached to this message. Any ideas how to get around this or do I need to go back to the previous version of Linux?

45 Replies
tdveira
Contributor
Contributor

Thank my friend.

Works for me.

0 Kudos
gylka
Contributor
Contributor

I don't want to sound negative and it's not directly on the topic, but why you (vmware) don't include this solution in your bundle?

This problem has been out in the open for months, and I remember solving it with this solution like a month and a half ago. Now I have to install it again on Kubuntu 22.04 and problem is still there with the latest bundle (installer).

And it's not the first time, over the last year or so it was always some issue where you have to find some hacky solution on your own forum that for some reason you didn't incorporate into your own installer.

Never had issues (I think ever for many-many years) with Windows version, but on Linux it's always reading forums, finding solutiuons, hacks, etc. The quality of Linux releases has been subpar for me. 

Again, sorry for a bit negative tone, it's just not the first time.

continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Last time I have seen one of the VMware Linux developers post in this forum was in 2007 if I remember right.
As far as I know VMware does not even have an option to file bugs for Workstation.

And just for your information - this forum may look like a forum driven by VMware Inc. all what VMware actually does here is provide the platform If you get help here you get this help from volunteers like me ....
>I don't want to sound negative and it's not directly on the topic, but why you (vmware) don't include this solution in your bundle?

Those that would know the answer to such a question simply dont come here ☹️

Ulli

UF2007
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks,

excellent description for this work around. Saved me a lot of time

Vex3
Contributor
Contributor

vmware going to provide an official fix?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Solutions for problems with "bleeding edge" distributions like Ubuntu 22 are provided by the Ubuntu scene - not by VMware Inc.
Look at the other posts about Ubuntu 22 + WS 16 - the solution has been posted several weeks/ months ago.

Ulli

0 Kudos
rfreytag
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am running Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and seeing this problem repeatedly.  22.04 LTS and 20.04 LTS ahould be better supported.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

The situation is still the same as it was in 2002.
Supported distributions install flawlessly.
Unsupported distributions install flawlessly once a smart user of distribution XY figured out how to patch the installer.
So we have 3 options:
1. demand that VMware fixes the problem and give up after one or two decades. Obviously this is not a solution orientated strategy and probably bad for your mental health.
2. accept the situation as it is and learn where to find the patches for your unsupported distribution.
3. switch to a supported distribution

Known side-effects of each approach:
1. folks start to kill the waiting time and start knitting - and we sure dont need to discuss the devastating results of picking up a hobby like knitting.
You will run out of wool every 4.53856 days and the kids will complain about scratchy pullovers.

2. live with getting the latest and maybe buggiest version ever just a few weeks later than the warrior-minded early adopters.
Major advantage - you will hear about the ugliest new bugs in advance and can make an educated decision before you start to change your current version

3. become a happy Debian user

Ulli

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

>>3. become a happy Debian user

Works for me 🙂

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Once I realised that knitting would drive me crazy in the long run
I also switched from Ubuntu to Debian

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

I don’t know if I would consider Ubuntu as “bleeding edge”. Rolling distributions give me more up to date packages than Ubuntu does. 
Ubuntu is more like bleeding to death by a thousand cuts. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
izzycrow
Contributor
Contributor

thank you so much for this!

0 Kudos
piete
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, this worked on Kubuntu 22.04

0 Kudos
gilig24853
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
Sgtkeebs
Contributor
Contributor

@gilig24853 I was just about to post this that there was a new version released. So everything works good with 16.2.4?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

read https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Pro/VMware-engineers-and-documentation-authors/...

0 Kudos
Sgtkeebs
Contributor
Contributor

I unfortunately do not see anything regarding how the new patch is working on 22.04, I mean from an end user perspective of installing and getting the kernel modules to compile. 😞 

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Then please complain in the other post - so that the Workstation product manager sees it.
Have you tried the patch from Michael Kubecek

0 Kudos
Sgtkeebs
Contributor
Contributor

I am sorry miscommunication. I was at work and I don't have a readily available 22.04 system I can install VMware with the new patch, so I just want to know how others experience is that went through the workaround in April. I am not complaining about anything just want general feedback, but I am home now and can install it myself. 

0 Kudos
ebsf1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

16.2.4 fails in precisely the same way as 16.2.3 on Ubuntu 22.04, as far as I can tell, at least for Workstation Player.  I posted to this effect last evening.  The app simply cannot launch a guest.

This said, after months, I think I had a breakthrough today, which requires a synthesis of 5-7 separate hacks or deviations from commonly posted procedures.  I still need to confirm a few things but stay tuned.

0 Kudos