VMware Communities
mw73
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware 16.2.3 not working on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

After up grading from Ubuntu 20.04 LTS to 22.04; I tried to start VMware Workstation Pro and I got the message "Unable to install all modules" and it referred me to an error log file which I have attached to this message. Any ideas how to get around this or do I need to go back to the previous version of Linux?

45 Replies
liberattgustavo
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks : https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Player/ubuntu-22-04-install-vm-workstation-erro...

This is what helped me

cd /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source
git clone https://github.com/mkubecek/vmware-host-modules
cd vmware-host-modules
git checkout workstation-16.2.3
make
tar -cf vmnet.tar vmnet-only
tar -cf vmmon.tar vmmon-only
mv vmnet.tar /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/
mv vmmon.tar /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/
vmware-modconfig --console --install-all

Sgtkeebs
Contributor
Contributor

Are we going to need to do this every time the kernel updates? Kind of frustrated I need my vms for research, and I may go back to 20.04 if we need to do this every time the kernel updates.

liberattgustavo
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare will use the same files to compile modules to the new kernel.

I've Upgraded the kernel from 5.15.0-25 to 5.15.0-27 and it still working without interference

0 Kudos
sacd7
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. This worked.

0 Kudos
jbrooksfrtw
Contributor
Contributor

Confirmed. Fixed my issue as well. 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
altituded
Contributor
Contributor

It still fails for me:

uname -a

Linux nuc11 5.13.0-40-generic #45~20.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Mon Apr 4 09:38:31 UTC 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

lsb_release -a

No LSB modules are available.

Distributor ID: Ubuntu

Description: Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS

Release: 20.04

Codename: focal

sudo git clone https://github.com/mkubecek/vmware-host-modules
cd vmware-host-modules
sudo git checkout workstation-16.2.3
sudo make
sudo tar -cf vmnet.tar vmnet-only
sudo tar -cf vmmon.tar vmmon-only
sudo mv vmnet.tar /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/
sudo mv vmmon.tar /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/
sudo vmware-modconfig --console --install-all

result:

MODULEBUILDDIR= postbuild

make[1]: Entering directory '/tmp/modconfig-Z3iwV2/vmnet-only'

make[1]: 'postbuild' is up to date.

make[1]: Leaving directory '/tmp/modconfig-Z3iwV2/vmnet-only'

cp -f vmnet.ko ./../vmnet.o

make: Leaving directory '/tmp/modconfig-Z3iwV2/vmnet-only'

Starting VMware services:

Virtual machine monitor                                            failed

Virtual machine communication interface                             done

VM communication interface socket family                            done

Virtual ethernet                                                   failed

VMware Authentication Daemon                                        done

Unable to start services

Austkwabs
Contributor
Contributor

on pop-os you have to add sudo make install when you finish, thats what worked for me after following the instructions. thanks.

altituded
Contributor
Contributor

It just doesn't work

0 Kudos
Austkwabs
Contributor
Contributor

sudo git clone https://github.com/mkubecek/vmware-host-modules
cd vmware-host-modules
sudo git checkout workstation-16.2.3
sudo make && sudo make install
sudo tar -cf vmnet.tar vmnet-only
sudo tar -cf vmmon.tar vmmon-only
sudo vmware-modconfig --console --install-all

in addition to this steps i copied vmmon and vmnet to /dev/

then i run the command (sudo vmware-modconfig --console --install-all) again as the original post solutions wasn't working. its working now. ps-my pop-os is new install so if your os has been running for long time you may have to dig deeper for solution or reinstall if you backup your important stuff. hope vmware comes out with new update that works out of the box. hope it helps.

altituded
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your help!l

i’ll gave up on VMware

d1v3rg3ntFX
Contributor
Contributor

This was a huge help, thanks for sharing!

ebsf1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just posted in another thread, and apologies for being repetitive but I've been trying to get Player to work for six weeks and don't know what else to do.

The foregoing all have failed.  Player remains unable to open a VM.  Player installs.  It can install a VM from ISO and run it but the VM cannot be restarted using the VM's restart command, and cannot be opened after reboot.

What's been done:

• I have attempted this on Ubuntu 20.04 and three or four reinstalls of Ubuntu 22.04.
  • I have attempted reinstall of VMware Player 16.2.3 fifteen or twenty times.
  • I have attempted every one of the foregoing recommendations at least three times.

Please see attached logs.  Any suggestions that actually get the software working would be profoundly appreciated.

continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Trying to repeat something that failed once several times usually does not make it better - on the contrary.
Please check if you really have install the kernel headers for your running kernel.
From the looks of it VMplayer has not yet been installed completely.
Whats is the result of
uname -a

Ulli

0 Kudos
ebsf1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have absolutely no idea what a kernel header is, how to check whether it/they is/are either installed or really installed, or how to either install or really install it/them.

What I have installed is Ubuntu Desktop 22.04, applying updates using aptitude.  If anything else is necessary, then obviously, the installer should do it.

Obviously, the problem is VMware Player hasn't been installed completely.  That's my point.  The installer installs the app, whereupon it fails.  The app continues to fail after applying the third-party kludge. The question is how to get it to install it fully, so it works.  One wonders if perhaps the developer might have an interest in there being a functional installer.

uname -a

returns:

Linux greystone 5.15.0-30-generic #31-Ubuntu SMP Thu May 5 10:00:34 UTC 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Two files are attached, one being STDOUT from executing the .bundle file.  I never have seen so many (or even any) error messages from vmware-installer.  These reference elementary syntax and dependency errors, which is both astonishing and alarming.  What also is inexplicable is that it concludes with a statement that the installation completed successfully when it obviously did not.

Also attached is the log file from the failed kludge attempt.

Any ideas about how to get the software installed and running would be greatly appreciated.

vitoie
Contributor
Contributor

done this and managed to get the install running. stupid me did forgot to do other checks about the version and I have now corrupted it all. guess I will just reinstall everything from scratch and see how it goes

https://www.itzgeek.com/how-tos/linux/ubuntu-how-tos/how-to-install-vmware-workstation-16-pro-on-ubu...

0 Kudos
Angel_Diaz
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, this worked for me on a new install of Ubuntu 22.04

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
calebaum
Contributor
Contributor

O meu ubuntu 22.04 funcionou!! Obrigado

0 Kudos
Angel_Diaz
Contributor
Contributor

the Austkwabs solution of 04-30-2022 12:53 AM worked for me on an upgrade from Ubuntu 20.04 to 22.04

Navix201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Austkwabs solution has worked fine for me. Thanks.

0 Kudos