VMware Communities
nunhead_man
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMware 16.0 installation fails and screws up the reinstallation of version 15.6

Okay team – what's going on?

My administrator who uses workstation updated herself to version 16 this morning and installed it and it fell over.

She then tried to put 15.6 back on and that install failed too

This is on a vanilla version of Windows 10 64-bit updated to version 2004

Given there is work to do here what we do next?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nunhead_man
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Good morning,

Thank you again for your detailed reply.

Would you believe that the problem was was with one single driver that I had to delete from the system\drivers folder being hcmon.sys.

Version 16 has now installed successfully and the two virtual machines on that base machine have come up properly.

I assume that these machines will now not run in version 15 having been updated?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 Replies
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Not much to  go on. Did you try uninstalling V16?

Uninstalling Workstation Pro

Lou

0 Kudos
Philbo3292
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the same problem, but I get an error message. I have attached the screenshot. Anyone help?

0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello,

Sorry you ran into the installation issues. Will you please try "VMware-Workstation -*.exe -r" to repair the Workstation installation? The VMware-Workstation-*.exe is the installation file you downloaded. After that please reboot host and run the installer again.

Let me know if it works for you.

nunhead_man
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Good afternoon,

Where do I run the command you mentioned?

In a command window of some description?

Does this require the executable file to be on the local machine as opposed to our file server will be store software including that which fails on installation like this one!

I'm with an ace of asking for a refund of $99 plus my consultancy fee equivalent to get this sorted out approximately £1000

0 Kudos
nunhead_man
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Did I try UNinstalling version 16?

Yes of course, but I think the problem is that version 16 has updated the local machine VM file and so version 15.6 cannot open it – at least it has a new file date concomitant with the point at which version 16 was tried to be installed

0 Kudos
nunhead_man
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Regarding the poster above who posted a screenshot what happened here was different.

We got a message saying "VMware workstation setup wizard ended prematurely" with the helpful suggestion that "VMware workstation PRO set up wizard ended prematurely because of an error. Your system has not been modified. To install this program at a later time, run Set up Wizard again. Click the Finish button to exit the Setup Wizard"

To the poster who said I had not given you much to go on that is quite right – I do not have much to go on as there was no indication what the error was of course – why on earth would I expect this program to be that helpful!

0 Kudos
nunhead_man
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Okay – I've worked out how to use your XXXX -r  command using Windows power shell, rebooted the machine and tried reinstalling workstation 16 and got back to exactly the same place I was in when I made the original report – a report telling me that VMware what VMware Workstation Setup Wizard ended prematurely and that my system has not been changed at all and I should try again later

Any other ideas?

By the way I am running this as administrator now from a version of the software stored on the local hard drive as opposed to being on a network drive which is where it was before

0 Kudos
haiweiz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi, Nunhead_man and Philbo3292:Lurker

Please collect the installer log to us for analysis, you can find them in %temp% folder, the file name is vminst.log and all vmmsi*.log

0 Kudos
nunhead_man
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello, I'm afraid there is only one file in that directory that I can find and that is attached.

I hope this helps in sorting out what is going on with all this time I'm wasting

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

just my guess  ....

QueryBroadcomTeamingState: obtained bcom state using registry (please install Broadcom's WMI module)

VMware assumes that a networkcard enters a set of parameters into the registry.

It needs those parameters to continue with the installation.

I would suggest to google for Broadcom  + WMI-module.

Hopefully you can install such a module.

It may also help to search for updated Broadcom drivers and in stall a newer one.

0 Kudos
haiweiz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The vminst.log you provided is located in c:\windows\temp.

Normally the user's temp folder is:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp

Please go to this folder to find the log files.

0 Kudos
nunhead_man
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Good morning,

Apologies – Madame had her windows explorer set to exclude hidden files

I hope this gives you what you need to diagnose

0 Kudos
haiweiz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The uploaded vminst.log file is one shortcut, without content. So I have to guess the following steps, you can try it.

From the vmmsi logs, I found your last uninstallation didn't clear up all your previous installation, please go following steps and try again:

1. Uninstall "VMware Workstation" if you can find it on "control panel"->Uninstall a program, then reboot your host.

2. Run "cmd" with "Run as administrator", on this cmd windows, input following command and check the result:

• sc query vmauthdservice
  • sc query VMnetDHCP
  • sc query "VMware NAT Service"
  • sc query VMUSBArbService

3. If any of the output shows the service is exist, you need delete this service and kill the correspond process, let's use VMUSBArbService as example:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sc query VMUSBArbService

SERVICE_NAME: VMUSBArbService

TYPE               : 10  WIN32_OWN_PROCESS

STATE              : 4  RUNNING

(STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE, IGNORES_SHUTDOWN)

WIN32_EXIT_CODE    : 0  (0x0)

SERVICE_EXIT_CODE  : 0  (0x0)

CHECKPOINT         : 0x0

WAIT_HINT          : 0x0

if you see the STATE is running, do following

C:\WINDOWS\system32>net stop VMUSBArbService

and re-run 'sc query VMUSBArbService' to make sure the service is stopped.

Then, delete all those services use following command:

• sc delete vmauthdservice
  • sc delete  VMnetDHCP
  • sc delete "VMware NAT Service"
  • sc delete  VMUSBArbService

Reboot your host

Run "cmd" with "Run as administrator", run following cmd to make sure all services is gone.

• sc query vmauthdservice
  • sc query VMnetDHCP
  • sc query "VMware NAT Service"
  • sc query VMUSBArbService

delete the following files in c:\windows\system32\drivers folder if it exist:

• hcmon.sys
  • vmnet.sys
  • vmnetadapter.sys
  • vmnetuserif.sys
  • vmx86.sys

make sure the "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation" is empty or doesn't exist.

At the cmd window, go to your downloaded Workstation installer path, run following command:

VMware-workstation-full-16.0.0-16894299.exe -r

The installer try to check to system and try to fix problem if there have. finally the installer popup message to let you reboot your host, after reboot, you can try to install Workstation again.

0 Kudos
nunhead_man
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Good morning,

Thank you again for your detailed reply.

Would you believe that the problem was was with one single driver that I had to delete from the system\drivers folder being hcmon.sys.

Version 16 has now installed successfully and the two virtual machines on that base machine have come up properly.

I assume that these machines will now not run in version 15 having been updated?

0 Kudos
haiweiz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Glad to know the problem was solved.

Version 15 should work either.

The support host OS link: VMware Knowledge Base for 15, and VMware Knowledge Base  for 16.

drint
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

how did you identify that this driver was causing problem, please can explain this ,my vmware setup wizard closes immediately

0 Kudos
drint
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i did as everything you mentioned my vmware still opens and closes immediately

0 Kudos