VMware Communities
G00mba
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware 11 not allowing install of 64BIT Linux.

I have a weird problem.

I have VMware 11.1.4 build-3848939 running on an Intel Core i5 2430m processor. This is a 64bit processor that supports:

Intel Virtual Technology

Intel Hyper Threading

Intel 64bit Architecture

ALL confirmed by Intel IPU v5.6

I am trying to install Centos 64bit, and I get an error indicating that "Binary Translation is incompatible... bla bla bla" :smileyshocked:

Everything is enable in BIOS and in fact my other Identical laptop is running VMware 9 with Centos v6.6 x64.

What is the story here and how do I fix this???

Thanks...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
G00mba
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the welcome.

I should have mentioned that I have been in this biz for over 30 years, so the steps you suggested had already been performed, my bad :smileyblush:.

In any case, it turns out it was Avast and it's stupid Self Defense Mode, reference link: http://www.memuplay.com/blog/index.php/2016/07/08/how-to-solve-vt-disabled-warning-from-avast/

And another setting under Components (HIPS) that seems to need to be turned off. And yet another area that apparently can cause  issues is with Avast "Sandbox", this one I have not confirmed as I don't have it installed - but there are many posts regarding Sandbox.

Why Avast (and apparently many others) are doing this is beyond me. At least give the user more information when selecting Options.

I hope this helps others - very frustrating and I apologize for "premature jumping" on WMware.

Now all is well.

Thanks Wila...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello,

Welcome at the VMware communities forum.

Note that changing VT-x setting requires the machine to be power cycled in order to be effective.

In order to do so, for a desktop, just pull the power plug, with the machine shut down.

For a laptop you might have to remove the batteries to power cycle it.

For more details, also see this excellent document: Trouble-shooting Intel VT-x Issues

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
G00mba
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the welcome.

I should have mentioned that I have been in this biz for over 30 years, so the steps you suggested had already been performed, my bad :smileyblush:.

In any case, it turns out it was Avast and it's stupid Self Defense Mode, reference link: http://www.memuplay.com/blog/index.php/2016/07/08/how-to-solve-vt-disabled-warning-from-avast/

And another setting under Components (HIPS) that seems to need to be turned off. And yet another area that apparently can cause  issues is with Avast "Sandbox", this one I have not confirmed as I don't have it installed - but there are many posts regarding Sandbox.

Why Avast (and apparently many others) are doing this is beyond me. At least give the user more information when selecting Options.

I hope this helps others - very frustrating and I apologize for "premature jumping" on WMware.

Now all is well.

Thanks Wila...

0 Kudos