VMware Communities
mfelker
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

VMs with kernel 4.10 won't boot

I have been unable to boot Linux distros with kernel 4.10 (up to and including rc7 which is the latest).   This includes openSUSE Tumbleweed, Ubuntu Zesty (17.04) and Fedora Rawhide.   Removing open-vm-tools or bundled VMware Tools doesn't help.   I am using WS 12.5.2.   My host is openSUSE Leap 42.2 but using the Windows version with Windows 10 or Windows Server 2016 didn't work either

Has anybody had success with this kernel?   If so what if any workarounds did you use.

TIA

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mfelker
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

OK Changed the host to Ubuntu Zesty (17.04) w kernel 4.9.0-15-generic (I'll try installing WS itself on kernel 4.10 as a later project)

This time success

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Some links/steps would have been appreciated as this isn't a simple apt-get dist-upgrade away.

So tried to reproduce your report on a Workstation 12.5.2 host.

First I downloaded Ubuntu Gnome 17.04 alpha 2, 64 bits from:

Index of /ubuntu-gnome/releases/zesty/alpha-2

Then apt-get update/upgrade/dist-upgrade which all worked fine.

By that time I was at kernel 4.9.0-15-generic

I have NOT installed vmware-tools, just sticking with plain Ubuntu for the moment.

Then searched for how-to get to kernel 4.10, finally bumped into this:

Index of /~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.10-rc7

Then wget all the parts from there, all the headers and just the generic image, not the low latency one.

sudo dpkg -i *.deb

reboot

and boots just fine for me...

pastedImage_4.png

So what exactly is the problem you did bump into when you say "I can't boot" is there a specific error you are getting?

What steps have you done in order to get that result?

edit: reworded the last sentence a bit.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

OK Thanks.  I just installing openSUSE Tumbleweed and its using gcc 5.25 - didn't have a clue that gcc 6.x was released.  I'm running WS 12.1.1 on openSUSE Leap 42.2 Alpha and perfromance is fantastic.  Tubleweed is installing on a Shared ESXi 6 VM.  VMware has finally got it together - this build is just great - better on Linux thanb Windows 10!

Anyway Leap's compiler is

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The GUI won't come up.   Just a blank screen.  I will flesh out this thread when I start working again with Linux tomorrow.  I just made a Hyper-V VM of openSUSE Tumbleweed with kernel 4.10 rc7 and used the Starwind Converter to create a vmdk from the vhdx.   I see if that will boot to a GUI.

Actually I know how to install the 4.10 on Ubuntu, openSUSE or Fedora from the appropriate kernel repo.    After you installed did your Ubuntu boot to the GUI - can't tell from your reply.

Cheers

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

After you installed did your Ubuntu boot to the GUI - can't tell from your reply.

You must have somehow missed the screenshot that I included Smiley Happy

Yes it booted to the GUI just fine.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Good.   I misinterpreted the screenshot.   I did try booting an openSUSE Tumbleweed VM with kernel 4.10 that worked fine in Hyper-V (converting vhdx to vmdk) but it crashes immediately after the GRUB boot screen).

I've attached the compressed VMware Support files if you have time to look at it.    It may very well have something to do with the host hardware - I don't have the tools or knowledge to suss this out

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

OK Changed the host to Ubuntu Zesty (17.04) w kernel 4.9.0-15-generic (I'll try installing WS itself on kernel 4.10 as a later project)

This time success

0 Kudos
Garry_N
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I used StarWind v2v to convert both from Hyper-V to VMware and vice versa, both worked perfectly for me.

There was one little trick with VMware to Hyper-V conversion when you had to run the converter on Win 10 or 2012R2 machine to have the Windows Recovery option available, but besides that, everything is perfect

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes the Starwind product is quite good.

0 Kudos
MaxCraft
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Glad to hear you like our products!

JFYI we just released the new version of the V2V Converter with lots of exciting updates

One of the biggest changes is you don't need to copy the VHDX/VMDKs back and forth anymore. It's converted right to the hypervisor host.

BTW: we're soon adding the ability to run StarWind storage with multi-tenant Hyper-V & vSphere support at the same time.

0 Kudos