VMware Communities
dermotof
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMs on nested ESXi host taking 100% of cpu, will not boot current or install new VMs

This one has me tearing my hair out!

I've been running nested esxi lab on workstation for a while and a few days ago the VMs nested on the ESXi host stopped booting. They take 100% of one of my physical cores and won't boot, I can't get in to see what's hogging the cpu. I have other VMs on workstation outside of the nested environment which are running fine. My setup is listed here:

My machine:

Quad core i5 4460, 32GB of RAM, Samsung SSD

Workstation 11:

2x ESXi hosts with 2 single core vCPUs allocated

2x 2012 Core servers, 2x 2012 server with a GUI, all 4 of which have 1 single core vCPU allocated and were running on one host with no issues

I moved the files for one of the esxi host to another drive so I initially put the performance issues down to that.

However, it has not improved and has become unusable.

I uninstalled workstation entirely and reinstalled. I also upgraded to 12.5, still unusable.

I installed a fresh ESXi host and one server 2012 R2 on workstation and am running only those 2 VMs and I can't even install a VM to the esxi host as it takes 100% of the core that's allocated to it and stays at 100%. The setup files take half an hour or more to load!! Screenshots below are from initial boot of a VM on ESXi (top is the win10 VM, bottom is the esxi host).

VM_cpu_on_boot.PNG

ESXi_cpu_on_boot.PNG

So my question, does anyone have any idea WHY this is happening?? Or any tips on running nested virtualisation (as I say, it was running perfectly fine until a few days ago). I've messed around with allocation of resources within vSphere, given the host less vCPUs, more vCPUs, none of which is working!! I can't understand how this was working perfectly fine and now won't even let me install a VM!!

Thanks,

Dermot

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dermotof
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

As per a few other posts here, I uninstalled antivirus (Avast in my case), problem solved!! I can't believe it was that simple but there you go.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
dermotof
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

As per a few other posts here, I uninstalled antivirus (Avast in my case), problem solved!! I can't believe it was that simple but there you go.

0 Kudos