VMware Communities
b3bis
Contributor
Contributor

VMs on TreeNAS Core samba share permission problems.

I recently updated (unfortunately) both VMWare Workstation Pro and TrueNAS (freenas). After the update I got onto a problem that when I run a VM from a locale computer that its VM files (.vmx .vmd etc) are located on an SMB share on my TrueNAS (the SMB share is mounted as a disk in Windows), probably VMWare changes the permissions of the files (the .vmx file and some more), applying ACL permissions and removing everything else. This makes it impossible to access the VM after a restart of the local machine OR the VM itself. I have to go to the TrueNAS shell and manually do:

setfacl -b *
chmod 770 *

inside the VM folder to regain access every time after every use.

At TrueNAS I have not set any ACL and to be exact I tried resetting ACL permissions and removing them all together.

I know that running VMs from an SMB share is not ideal but this is the setup at hand for the time being. Does anyone know why this behavior happens? Is there anything I can do to avoid it. What user is the VMWare service using to actually run the VMs?

As a side note, a funky behavior I have seen is that I can see the VM files with the explorer menu that opens when I try to open a new VM but when I try to actually open it, I will still get an internal error message.

0 Kudos
0 Replies