VMware Communities
peterdcross
Contributor
Contributor

VMs in workstations cannot ping one another

I have two PCs with work station 8.1 installed on each. A windows 2008 Std edition VM has been created in each workstation, DHCP enabled, with the fire wall turned off. Both servers can access the internet via a router that provides the DHCP, (NICs bridged and replicating the physical network) each VM can ping the host PC of the other but they cannot ping each other. Any ideas on this problem?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
rishisharma
Contributor
Contributor

I'm upto the mark towards the answer u asked but pl explore more like; what i did earlier when i posted and created a discussion for the same....

As i know, i've done the same but give the full details of ur Hosts IP and VMs ip subnets....Then, may be i can help u out regard the same...

Wish u all the best!!!

Rishi Sharma | MCSA(Messaging), MCSE, RHCE, Virtualization
0 Kudos
rishisharma
Contributor
Contributor

Recently Today,

I've done it....I'm exploring the same with you man....

Follow these steps:-

1) Firstly, No matter which O.S u're running in case whenever u're in the move to make a reachability means communication establishment across a network.

2) U've one router enabled DHCP service inside connected with two Physical Hosts.

3) Inside each Physical Hosts u've several VMs running under Workstation 8. It could be one, two, or more vms running under Workstation 8 etc..

4) Use Bridge Networking for each VMs running under Workstation 8.

5) As soon as, u'll use bridge networking in each VMs. Look for the VM NIC, it should be in mode <obtain ip address automatically>. So, by this means ur Router which's also acting as a Bridge and DHCP as well will provide the IP Address to the requesting VM Guest.. Do this procedure in every VM. Shortly, u'll see that u're now part of same IP subnet network.

6) Now take a glance inside whole network configuration:

i) First, Go inside Edit (under Workstation 8 menu option)> Virtual Network Editor ....Click on it and check whether Bridge Network Connection has been selected OR not.

ii) Second, Go inside every VMs and check whether it is receiving IP address from router's subnet network range or not... In my opinion, I'm using 192.168.1.1 as a router ip/management and 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254 for DHCP allocation..

Hope, this'll resolve/guide you that how u can make a reachability among several VMs running under Workstation 8 inside the Physical Host...

Good Luck!

Rishi Sharma | MCSA(Messaging), MCSE, RHCE, Virtualization
0 Kudos
milton123
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I think you are miasmas with your IP address. Please use same block IP address while using bridge and use different block IP address while using NAT.

Cheers, Yours Udin

0 Kudos
peterdcross
Contributor
Contributor

THe config is DHCP from the router, NAT (not being used) would automatically translate the external to internal IP address. A manualy assigned subnet would require a router unless multi homed, with the D/F gate being the router accessing the internet

0 Kudos
peterdcross
Contributor
Contributor

The issue was resolved by configuring an xp vm in each workstation which could contact each other correctly thus eliminating the host or workstation element.

The finger was pointing at the Windows 2008 R2 VMs which were using DHCP and Network bridging the same as the XP VMs so that was not the cause. The issue was resolved by identifying the network in control panel as a trusted network and then communication was established and an AD network was set to work. The only remaining problem is network discovery does not work the HOST PCs work fine but the server VMs do not discover one another with a network browse, you can turn network discovery on but it turns off immediatley you close the window, Microsoft merely lists the services that need to be running for Network discovery to work. I f the truth is known Microsoft has been to clever with tis security and screwed up a functioning service that has worked since Windows 95.

0 Kudos