VMware Communities
mgerbasio
Contributor
Contributor

VMparport Driver

Hi,

I did a search but couldn't find anything. I created a WinXP Pro VM and have it working fine on a ThinkPad T61. I added a parallel & serial port by replacing the CD/DVD drive.

The software I'm using in WinXP uses a parallel port dongle and needs a driver added. I can't seem to get this to work. With the port set as bi-directional in BIOS, the driver installation fails.

I tried changing the port type to ECP but it gives me an error in the VM when I try to connect:

"Cannot open VMparport driver for LPT1: The operation completed successfully Failed to connect virtual device parallel0."

Any ideas? Would I do better adding a usb parallel port?

Regards-Michael G.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
ClayMon
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

0 Kudos
mgerbasio
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the fast response. I did read that but the date was 2003 so I thought it would be too old to be useful. I couldn't find a way to change the bios setting for the guest machine only, not sure if I'm missing a step here.

Another question, following the instructions in the thread, if I uninstall then reinstall VMware, how do I save my virtual machines I already set up? I'm a newbie if you haven't already guessed.

Regards-Michael G.

0 Kudos
ClayMon
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Uninstalling VMware won't remove your VMs. You may get prompted about license keys, if so tell the routine to save them. After reinstalling you won't need to enter the serial number again.

0 Kudos
mgerbasio
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks again. I'm going to try it tomorrow morning as I've had enough fun for one day.

Regards-Michael G.

0 Kudos
mgerbasio
Contributor
Contributor

OK, I was able to unintalled and reinstall and the VMparparallel port error doesn't show up anymore. However, I don't see the parallel port icon in the toolbar. Wehn I go to VM > Removable Devices > Parallel it does show connected. How can I get the status back in the toolbar?

My real issue is not being able to connect to an Aladdin HASP parallel port dongle. After spending a day with this, I'm not getting it to work in a virtual machine and will probably have to go the dual boot route.

Regards-Michael G.

0 Kudos
ClayMon
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

My real issue is not being able to connect to an

Aladdin HASP parallel port dongle. After spending a

day with this, I'm not getting it to work in a

virtual machine and will probably have to go the dual

boot route.

Hmmm. Good questions. I have an Aladdin Hasp parallel port dongle, but I won't be able to test with it until late Thursday. Hopefully you can get an answer before then.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

You may want to see if the vendor offers a USB version. I've switched all of our Intellution keys to USB versions (as most of the Servers coming in no longer have a Parallel port to plug the older Aladdin key into), and have no problems with either physical servers or my virtual guests using the Aladdin HASP USB key.

0 Kudos
ClayMon
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

My real issue is not being able to connect to an

Aladdin HASP parallel port dongle. After spending a

day with this, I'm not getting it to work in a

virtual machine and will probably have to go the dual

boot route.

Sorry it took so long, but I was just able to test this.

The VM was able to see the LPT port via the menu and the HASP license manager software was able to see the dongle.

Is the LPT port port currently listed under ports in Device Manager in the VM?

Have you tried these steps?:

- Shutdown the VM

- Remove the LPT port

- Restart the VM

- Shutdown

- Add the LPT port again

- Restart

Thanks

0 Kudos
mgerbasio
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response but I gave up on the parallel port and bought a usb hasp which is working fine the first time out. I may go back and try your suggestions on a clone of the vm just to see if it works. When I do, I'll post back here. Thanks again.

Regards-Michael G.

0 Kudos
mgerbasio
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response but I gave up on the parallel port and bought a usb hasp which is working fine the first time out. I may go back and try your suggestions on a clone of the vm just to see if it works. When I do, I'll post back here. Thanks again.

Regards-Michael G.

0 Kudos