VMware Communities
JohnAlgeo
Contributor
Contributor

VMnet0 can connect to Internet but not to a lab instrument

I am running VMware Workstation 6 with an XP Pro Guest on a Vista64 host. The machine is a Toshibe Qosmio laptop. I have used Host Virtual Network Mapping to assign VMNet0 to the Realtek wired network port (Bridged mode). The system will connect to the internet from either the host or the guest using the wired port, but if I set the wired port to use IP 192.168.100.128, Subnet 255.255.248.0 with no DNS, it will not connect to a laboratory instrument that I wish to control. Other laptops with native XP Professional and no VMWARE can connect to the instrument using the same network settings. Wireshark shows no attempt to send. What else do I need to check on the Guest system?

Thanks, John

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mreed9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

1. Can the host machine connect to the instrument?

2. Are the settings being changed in the TCP/IP properties on the guest?

3. Can you ping one of the other XP machines from the guest after the guest settings have been changed?

4. Can you connect to the instrument using one of the other laptops while plugged into the exact same port as the one with the vmware on it?

5. I assume that both the address for the guest and the instrument are in the same subnet or some sort of routing is taking place?

JohnAlgeo
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your input.  There were a few tricks:

- To set VMnet0, I had to plug a live ethernet cable in so that VMware would show the wired port as a valid choice to connect the virtual port to.

- I also set the IP into the host adapter's TCP/IP properties on the Advanced tab.

- VMnet0 has to have a different IP than the Host port, so it's 192.168.100.129 and the host is 192.168.100.128.

- The instrument is 192.168.100.1, which is resolved by an entry in the hosts file.

John

0 Kudos