VMware Communities
hassemr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMnet0 Missing in Windows 10 Version 1607

Used to run bridged network into a VM running on a Windows 10 host.  Following the insiders update to Version 1607 (Build 14393 10), VMnet0 will no longer start.

What I've tried;

In the Network Connections tool,

Chose the only physical adaptor,

Uninstalled the VMware Bridge Protocol.

Rebooted Windows 10

Opened Network Connection tool,

Installed VMware Bridge Protocol

Rebooted Windows 10.

Still does not have VMnet0 available for use.  When I try to add a Bridged adapter in the guest OS, it says all physical adapters are bridged.

NAT works just fine, so no loss of connectivity, just unable to used Bridged connection.

Thanks,

Mike

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

I would try uninstalling VMware Workstation, reboot, re-install VMware Workstation.

First try I would "keep configuration" when uninstall asks for that and see if VMNet0 comes back, if it doesn't I would repeat the above and also throw away the configuration.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

I would try uninstalling VMware Workstation, reboot, re-install VMware Workstation.

First try I would "keep configuration" when uninstall asks for that and see if VMNet0 comes back, if it doesn't I would repeat the above and also throw away the configuration.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Codeplug
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What worked for me was to use the "Restore Defaults" button in Virtual Network Editor

gg

hassemr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Wil, that's what ended up fixing the missing VMnet0.

Mike

0 Kudos
cpuchip
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What Codeplug Said about resetting Virtual Network Editor. That is what worked for me after I updated to Windows 10 Version 1703 Creators Update (Redstone 2)

I somehow lost VMnet0 as well and could no longer bridge my VM. After resetting to defaults in the Virtual Network Editor I was able to get back up and running. I fortunately didn't have any changes to the defaults so I didn't loose anything else.

0 Kudos
Magai
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This worked for me also.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
StephenS
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

VMware has released Workstation 12.5.6, which formally supports Windows 10 version 1703 Creators Update and appears to resolve this issue.

0 Kudos
jps11
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Got 12.5.6 last week, creator's update today.  Lost all virtual drives and had to reset network config in VM.

0 Kudos
JoeTMC2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This worked for me, when you set it back to defaults it uninstalls the current network adapters and re-installs them.

0 Kudos
extrasensory
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Does not do it all the time!

Uninstall with all settings, reinstall and reboot all VM clients. Then go into Edit / Network Editor and think about clicking something. VMnet0 is missing. When you click on Change Settings and give Admin rights, the VMnet0 suddenly appears and you're good. But if you go in and look again, VMnet0 has disappeared.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VMnet0 can only by modified by admins so you will not see it in Networkeditor of restricted users. Thats normal and expected behaviour.

0 Kudos
aminadha
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

For me, Linux rolling, workstation 17:

Checking the box

"connect a host virtual adapter (vmnet7) to this network."

And once you go to the VM and select that vmnet, go right back and uncheck the option.

0 Kudos