VMware Communities
CazwIVXf
Contributor
Contributor

VMnet0: Bridged Network, connection problems

Host: Windows 8x64

Guest: Windows 7x64

Hello,

if I choose the Virtual Network Editor in VMware Workstation 9 I can see that VMnet0 is of the Type Bridged. The host virtual adapter name is: VMware Network Adapter VMnet0.

If I look to the host I can see only:

- VMware Network Adapter VMnet1 and

- VMware Network Adapter VMnet 8.

Why can I not see the VMware Network Adapter VMnet0 in the host?

In the guest operating system I have an Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT-Network Connection which uses the virtual DHCP server. Internet works fine if I choose NAT for the Network Adapter in the Virtual Machine Settings. If I choose Bridged (Automatic Bridging Settings: selected the host network adapter AVM FRITZ!WLAN USB Stick) for the Network Adapter I get the following error message:

Network Error

An IP-adress conflict was detected.

Another computer in the Network has the same IP-adress than this computer.

The IP adress of the host and the guest are the same. The connection trials take place via the Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT-Network Connection. The DHCP server of the host does not assign a unique IP adress tho the guest if I choose Bridged.

The following I do not understand:

- Why can I not see the VMware Network Adapter VMnet0 in the host?

- Why do the connection trials take place via the Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT-Network Connection if I choose Bridged for the Network Adpater? I thought that if I choose Bridged the guest connects directly to the physical network via VMnet0 in the Host.

Something is wrong. Please help me.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
jsa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Think of bridged via vmnet0, as another nic lashed onto the back of your host,  directly connected to the wire.

Itz not in the host, its kinda like a party line in old telephone technology.

Your host can't see traffic on vmnet0 and it can't even see the nic.  It's not supposed to.

Vmware goes to a lot of trouble to be sure the host and the guest can't see each other's traffic.

The generic term for this is aliasing the nic. Ith half done in hardware and half smoke and mirrors.

What you describe is perfectly normal.  Neither machine knows that there is another user of the nic. Each thinks It owns the nick.

0 Kudos
jsa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Oh, and i forgot to say that if you are going to have a problem aliasing a nic, it will be with a wifi nic.

I would hunt around for an alternative wifi nic. Preferably one that isn't a USB connection.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

The host virtual adapter name is: VMware Network Adapter VMnet0.

there's no virtual host adapter for vmnet0. The Bridged network is implemented as an additional protocol for the physical adapter(s). What may help with multiple physical adapters in the host, is to select the adapter you are going to use (rather than Automatic) in the Virtual Network Editor's drop-down list for vmnet0.

André

0 Kudos
CazwIVXf
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

thank you very much for your help. I am sure that you are right. It does not work as described in the manual of VMware.

But if I look to the Virtual Network Editor I can see there the following information from VMware: Host virtual adapter name: VMware Network Adapter VMnet0.

I do not have multiple physical adapters in the host. So I believe that this should be not the reason for the problem.

0 Kudos
CazwIVXf
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

thank you very much for your help. I am sure that you are right. It does not work as described in the manual of VMware.

VMware writes in their manual:

Assigning IP Addresses in a Bridged Networking Environmenton page 149

A virtual machine must have its own identity on a bridged network. For example, on a TCP/IP network, the virtual machine needs its own IP address. Your network administrator can tell you whether IP addresses are available for virtual machines and which networking settings to use in the guest operating system.

page 149:

Assigning IP Addresses in a Bridged Networking Environment

A virtual machine must have its own identity on a bridged network. For example, on a TCP/IP network, the virtual machine needs its own IP address. Your network administrator can tell you whether IP addresses are available for virtual machines and which networking settings to use in the guest operating system.

Typically, the guest operating system can acquire an IP address and other network details from a DHCP server, but you might need to set the IP address and other details manually in the guest operating system.

Users who boot multiple operating systems often assign the same address to all systems because they assume that only one operating system will be running at a time. If the host system is set up to boot multiple operating systems, and you run one or more operating systems in virtual machines, you must configure each operating system to have a unique network address.

Fact is that the DHCP server (of the router connected to the host) does not assign an IP address and other network details to the guest operating system if I choose bridged network. But where to set the IP address and other details manually in the guest operating system?

It does not work as described in the manual of VMware. That is now sure.

0 Kudos
muddin
Contributor
Contributor

I think you are missing some things so that you can't match with vmware manual.

Thanks

0 Kudos
CazwIVXf
Contributor
Contributor

Was it very difficult for you to create this suggestion?

0 Kudos