VMware Communities
mmohp
Contributor
Contributor

VMimage runs fine in one Workstation instance but bluescreens in another :-(

I have again and again the case that a VM which runs perfectly fine on one VMware Workstation installation (and which was properly shutdown and copied over) does not run on another Workstation instance. There it either hangs during restart, or starts into Windows recovery mode or directly just blue-screens!

How can that be? This defies the whole purpose of using VMs! And it has already cost me countless hours!

Both systems run the latest version of Workstation Pro v12.5.2 build-4638234. The guest runs Windows 2008 Server, the host on the working side is Windows 10 Pro, on the crashing side its Windows 8.1 Enterprise.

What do I need to check or make sure in order to have some guarantee that my VMs remain portable?

Later addition: if I create a clone (full clone) of the VM on the original system and copy that over that clone runs fine on the other system. So the issue is clearly NOT with the VM itself but with the VM workstation setup! So what does "cloning" change or fix other than just creating a 1:1 copy?

0 Kudos
0 Replies