VMware Communities
michaelsaunders
Contributor
Contributor

VMWorkstation 16 on windows 11 Failed to conect pipe to virtual machine

I have freshly installed VMWorkstation on Windows 11. 
I am running fully paid licenses on both. 

I created my first machine on VMWorkstation which is Ubuntu.
When I hit the play button I get error message:

Failed to connect pipe to virtual machine: The system cannot find the file specified.

I have tried the following steps.

1. Create a new virtual machine

2. Reinstalling Visual studio redistributables 2015 as per a post I found

3. Reinstall VM Workstation

Nothing has worked. Should I request a product refund as this product seems faulty.

19 Replies
Parradoxx
Contributor
Contributor

I get exactly the same problem.

Dialog box error immediately after attempting to start any VM:

"VMware Workstation cannot connect to the virtual machine. Make sure you have rights to run the program, access all directories the program uses, and access all directories for temporary files.

Failed to connect pipe to virtual machine: The system cannot find the file specified.

VMware "failed to connect pipe to virtual machine""

Nothing fixes it:

Ran total uninstall, deleting old config, and re-install of of VMware Workstation v16.2 latest download.

Ran a repair of all the Microsoft C++ redistributables.

Same problem if a new virgin VM is created.

I am surprised there is no response to this thread.

I am going to roll back to Windows 10 and try again in 12 months time.

...... Paradox

Parradoxx
Contributor
Contributor

Error still persists - Further to my above post:

My VMware VM's have been fully functional on Windows 10 for years.

Microsoft just auto-upgraded me to Windows 11.

I still get the same error as the above post when trying to start a VM.

VMware Workstation 16 Pro, Version: 16.2.2 build-19200509

Can somebody please provide a solution to this problem.

Parradoxx
Contributor
Contributor

Performed a Windows 11 operating system 'Reset', then reinstalled VMware Workstation from scratch - still the same problem.

VMware 'Help - About' say's Host OS Version: Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit (Build 22000.434) 10.0.22000 

This is incorrect -  the host OS is now Windows 11 but VMware cannot detect that, even after a fresh install.

vmware.log exists but has no log entries for the failed startup

Parradoxx
Contributor
Contributor

From a new install of Windows 11: Performed VMware removal  using the VMware uninstall utility, with the option to remove/wipe all previous settings. Reboot. Ran cCleaner to purge all redundant VMware registry settings remaining. Reinstalled VMware using factory defaults. Created a new VM. Attempting to start the VM - same error: 'Failed to connect pipe to virtual machine'

Reinstalled Windows 11, this time resetting all Windows 11 settings to factory default. Reinstalled VMware Workstation with factory default settings. Created a new VM. Attempting to start the VM - same error: 'Failed to connect pipe to virtual machine'

This is a Z590 MSI motherboard with latest firmware and with current release hardware peripherals. I have owned VMware for over a decade, and know my way around it.

VMware should fix this bug. Customers should not have to pay VMware for technical support to fix VMware's own software bugs. Customers should not have to do VMware's R&D bug troubleshooting for them.

SimoFrassi
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem on  a windows 11 with VmWare 16.2.2. Powering a Virtual machine hosting windows 10 it gives the same error:

VMware Workstation cannot connect to the virtual machine. Make sure you have rights to run the program, access all directories the program uses, and access all directories for temporary files.

Failed to connect pipe to virtual machine.

The same virtual machine with the same version of VmWare workstation on the laptop of a colleague runs perfectly.

Where's the problem? I run VmWare Workstation as administrator...

Parradoxx
Contributor
Contributor

I still get the same VMware problem on Windows 11 whether I am logged in as administrator or UAC user.

I have been running VMware Workstation in previous versions of Windows for a decade. logged in as a UAC user, and never encountered  problem. 

abdoSamaha
Contributor
Contributor

the same issue here

MrVim
Contributor
Contributor

Same here..

I have the same issue, still didn't find any solution..

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Parradoxx
Contributor
Contributor

I have been able to fix the problem, but the precise cause is still not clear:

I purchased a full retail Windows 10 Pro Product Key to replace my legal copy of Windows 10 Pro N (which does not have the 'N' Media Pack upgrade installed - it is no longer available for download anywhere).

I did a 'Clean' install of Windows 10 Pro with wipe all settings. Then ran an SFC / scannow (system file checker) and DISM (repair Windows system image).

I updated all drivers to the latest release – there have been several recent updates released, possibly due to Windows 11 requirements.
Upgraded to Windows 11 using the: "Windows 11 Installation Assistant". https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows11 . Previously I had been upgrading using an ISO file.

I then installed VMware Workstation, which now works normally under both Admin and UAC user accounts. I have always run my VM’s from a UAC account.

….. Paradox

MrVim
Contributor
Contributor

Is everyone here used Windows 11 Pro N?

0 Kudos
Scillonian
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@MrVim wrote:

Is everyone here used Windows 11 Pro N?

Yes, and does work if you add a missing DLL to Windows 11 Pro N.

You have two options:

• Copy the C:\windows\System32\ResampleDMO.DLL file included with the non 'N' editions of Windows 11 to C:\Windows\System32 of the 'N' edition.

or

• Install the optional Media Feature Pack. In Windows go to Start > Settings > Apps > Optional features > View features and select Media Feature Pack. (Note: Installing the Media Feature Pack will reinstall most of the media features that are not present in the 'N' editions.)

The ResampleDMO.DLL is not present on Windows 10 Pro N (without the Media Features Pack installed) where VMware Workstation Pro 16.2.2 running without requiring its presence.

Can anyone suggest why this DLL has become a dependency for Windows 11 Pro N but not with Windows 10 Pro N?

MrVim
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Very much!
finally a solution.

0 Kudos
Parradoxx
Contributor
Contributor

So does this mean that VMware have just wiped out their entire European customer base that does not have the N Media Pack installed? ..... without telling anyone? .... and they rely on this end user forum to troubleshoot it?

MrVim
Contributor
Contributor

I guess they just forget to update the requirements for Windows 11 Pro N.

0 Kudos
SimoFrassi
Contributor
Contributor

So it seems

SimoFrassi
Contributor
Contributor

Excellent MrWin, that's the problem!!! it all dipends on the ResampleDMO.DLL that is missing in the "N" distributions of Windows

Great job!

0 Kudos
SimoFrassi
Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks to Scillonian who got the solution!!!

phobicdotno
Contributor
Contributor

Awzm, thanks! Just upgraded to Win 11, trying to start i clone of mye old Win 10. Puh. Worked great!

0 Kudos
martopad
Contributor
Contributor

I would just like to say thanks! This thread is still relevant. I didn't know workstation pro breaks just by choosing the N vs non-N version. Instead of doing the two suggested solutions, I just installed Windows 11 pro non-N edition.

0 Kudos