VMware Communities
MichBU
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMWorkstation 15, WIndows 2016 VM storage is growing more than 200 G0???

Hello,

I use a WINDOWS 2016 VM  under Worsktation PRO 15, I have 2 vitual disks definied one about 60Gb (current size 1.3 Gb) and the second about 40Gb (curent size 206 Mb). .

My problem is when I check the space in my local C drive, I see that this VM folder is about more than 200 Gb, therefore I am looking about a possibility to reduce this space disk.

Hope you can help and I thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MichBU
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

I want to thank you for your help during those modifications and the result is fine.

Now, the folder is reduced to 35 G0 unsteadly to the 200 G0 when I started my post.

The VM works fine and I have all featurs and functins working well.

Thanks a lots for your efficient help.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
23 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It sounds like you have snapshots taken?  Or you have autoprotect enabled, which creates automatic snapshots.

0 Kudos
MichBU
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

Thanks for replying to my question.

The Autoprotect is disable and I have only 3 snapshots under Snapshot manager.

TX

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Please run dir *.* > filelist.txt in the VM's folder, and attach the filelist.txt to your next reply.

André

0 Kudos
MichBU
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

Here is the txt file with all my folder windows2016 content.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The files, and folders in the list are partly confusing, and it looks like some of them have been created manually!?

Did you already check whether the contents in these sub-directories are still needed?

Regarding the snapshots. The virtual disks have a different number of snapshots, and from the time stamps it seems that a either a previous try to consolidate/delete snapshots went wrong on the "Disque virtuel". To better understand this situation, please attach the VM's vmware.log to a reply post. This will show which .vmdk files are in use, and how the snapshot chain looks like.

Question: Do you still need any of the VM's snapshots, or can they be consolidated?

André

0 Kudos
MichBU
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

FInd attached the log.

About the snapshot no I do not need them too.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The following steps will consolidate the snapshots, cleanup the VM's folder, and also maintain a backup of the current state.

1. shutdown the VM, and close VMware Workstation
  2. rename the VM's folder "C:\VmWare\win2016F" to "C:\VmWare\win2016F.old"
  3. create a new folder "C:\VmWare\win2016F"
  4. clone 1st disk: "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware-vdiskmanager.exe" -r "C:\VmWare\win2016F.old\Disque virtuel-000004.vmdk" -t 1 "C:\VmWare\win2016F\win2016F-0.vmdk"
  5. clone 2st disk: "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware-vdiskmanager.exe" -r "C:\VmWare\win2016F.old\win2016F-000001.vmdk" -t 1 "C:\VmWare\win2016F\win2016F-1.vmdk"
  6. copy "win2016F.vmx", "win2016F.vmxf" and "win2016F.nvram" from the original folder to the newly create folder
  7. edit "win2016F.vmx" and replace the virtual disk file names (in the new folder):
    scsi0:0.fileName = "Disque virtuel-000004.vmdk" --> "win2016F-0.vmdk"
    scsi0:1.fileName = "win2016F-000001.vmdk" --> "win2016F-1.vmdk"

The clone commands will create the new virtual disks with the default file format "growable virtual disk split into multiple files".

At a later point - after confirming that everything works as expcted - you can then delete the whole "win2016F.old" folder.

If you have any question about the steps, please don't hesitate to ask.

André

0 Kudos
MichBU
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

I was Off for some days sorry for not responding to your last answer earlier.

I will start today your scenario and cross my fingers as I am not so confortable with all those steps.

Thanks and will keep you informed.

0 Kudos
MichBU
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello Andre,

As first step, here are the result from vmdiskmanager.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation>vmware-vdiskmanager.exe -r "C:\VmWare\win2016F_old\Disque virtuel-000004.vmdk" -t 1 "C:\VmWare\win2016F\win2016F-0.vmdk"

VixDiskLib: Failed to initialize PhoneHome library.

Creating disk 'C:\VmWare\win2016F\win2016F-0.vmdk'

Convert: 91% done.Virtual disk conversion successful.

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation>vmware-vdiskmanager.exe -r "C:\VmWare\win2016F_old\win2016F-000001.vmdk" -t 1 "C:\VmWare\win2016F\win2016F-1.vmdk"

VixDiskLib: Failed to initialize PhoneHome library.

Creating disk 'C:\VmWare\win2016F\win2016F-1.vmdk'

Convert: 99% done.Virtual disk conversion successful.

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation>

Is that OK before going on next steps please let me know why the error message "VixDiskLib: Failed to initialize PhoneHome library." and why it is not complete at 100% for both commands??

Hope you can help before going on next steps.
Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Please feel free to ask if you are unsure about a step.

I assume that nothing has changed in the meantime, i.e. that the snapshots are still the same. In case that the following two lines in the VM's .vmx file are different now, the clone commands need to be modified too, so that the clones are created from the most recent snapshots.

scsi0:0.fileName = "Disque virtuel-000004.vmdk"

scsi0:1.fileName = "win2016F-000001.vmdk"

André

0 Kudos
MichBU
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

I am confuse now.

In your answer you mentioned to execute those commands CLONE it is what I have done and sent you the results.

and then:

1. copy "win2016F.vmx", "win2016F.vmxf" and "win2016F.nvram" from the original folder to the newly create folder
  2. edit "win2016F.vmx" and replace the virtual disk file names (in the new folder):
    scsi0:0.fileName = "Disque virtuel-000004.vmdk" --> "win2016F-0.vmdk"
    scsi0:1.fileName = "win2016F-000001.vmdk" --> "win2016F-1.vmdk"

I did not apply those steps before your answer, so what I do now??

Thanks a lots in advance.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Seems we replied her at the same time.

I can't tell you what "VixDiskLib: Failed to initialize PhoneHome library." means. IMO this is a warning (bug?) only.

I also consider the displaed percentage as a flaw in the code.

André

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Sorry for confusing you.

If the original .vmx file still contains the mentioned lines (.vmdk file names), then proceed with the remaining steps.

Only if the .vmdk files are different now (e.g. another snapshot has been created), the clone commands need to be modified, and use the current .vmdk names as the sources.

André

0 Kudos
MichBU
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Now, I have copied the files and edit "win2016F.vmx"

Starting the VM machine I got an error:

File not found: Disque virtuel-000004.vmdk

This file is required to power on this virtual machine. If this file was moved, specify the new location.

Can you help please??

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It looks like you missed step 7, i.e. replace the .vmdk file names in the copied .vmx file.

André

PS: It's important to edit the .vmx file while VMware Workstation (or at least the VM's tab) is closed, so that the .vmx file is re-read after the modification.

0 Kudos
MichBU
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I double checked and the update have be done into the new folder.

I made a quick search in the win2016F.vmx file and cannot find the Disque virtuel-000004.vmdk file??

Any idea ??

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Let's see what we have.

Please run dir *.* > filelist.txt in the newly created folder, then attach filelist.txt, win2016F.vmx , as well as the vmware.log to your next reply.

André

0 Kudos
MichBU
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

I stopped the process VM and make a new update on the file and now I can open my Windows Machine whithout error.

Looks better, any others steps you may recommand ??

I do remember you mentionned also:

""The clone commands will create the new virtual disks with the default file format "growable virtual disk split into multiple files".""

Thanks

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I stopped the process VM and make a new update on the file and now I can open my Windows Machine whithout error.

I'm glad that you made it work.

Looks better, any others steps you may recommand ??

Not really. Just verify that everything works as expected before you delete the old folder.

André

0 Kudos