VMware Communities
CharlesGilley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMWorkstation 15.5.6 does not like Windows 10 1204 - mouse stutter

I've had 1204 on my laptop for 2 months now, running VM 15.5.1.  I finally decided I'd let the 15.5.6 update happen.  Mouse lag was terrible.  If you pulled up the Windows program list and scrolled, it was unusable.  Doing some research and came across the mouse issues people have with RDP.  The VMs I'm using reside on one of my laptop's secondary SSDs, so I don't think those issues are applicable.  After digging around some more, I decided screw it - and rolled back to 15.5.1 (restore points are your friends).  Issue gone.

FWIW, this mouse issue occurred on Windows Xp Pro and Windows 10 Pro 1904 guests.  I'm happy to provide any log files or further information if asked.

cg

0 Kudos
3 Replies
CharlesGilley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

8 months later.. just installed 15.5.7 build-17171714 since it was nagging me.

Same terrible issue with mouse stutter in hosted operating systems:: Xp 7 and 10.  Interestingly, the mouse moves fine across the desktop background... it's not until you get into the menus where the lag starts.  Time to rollback my installation (again).

So, VMWare, do your support people ever read the forums?  You're pestering me to upgrade to Pro 16, but I see no reason to bother. 

0 Kudos
CharlesGilley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Going to reply to my own post with a possible solution.  Over in this thread:  https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Pro/Workstation-15-5-5-performance-hit/m-p/1863... a suggestions were made to see if a similar but not quite the same issue with WS 16 could be resolved.  One idea was to turn off 3D hardware acceleration:

Edit virtual machine settings -> Display -> 3D graphics -> uncheck accelerate 3D graphics.

save and start the VM.  All of my machines are behaving now.  I suppose I lose some performance, but these are all development platforms, and I don't need accelerated 3d graphics.  Maybe this will help someone.

My belief is that a couple of things are going on here, as I have seen this mouse stutter on a number of versions and I want to say mainly NVidia cards (can't prove that though).  I haven't bothered to do exhaustive testing, but I do know a few things:

1. It does not seem to be specific to an NVidia driver release.  I went through 4 different driver builds from NVidia.  Nothing helped.  Includes rebooting host machine as well as VMs.
  2. It is not related to the guest OS.  The stutter happens across my Xp, Windows 7 and Windows 10 virtual machines.

What I don't know is if later versions of WS 15.5.x turned on 3d graphics acceleration as a default or not.  It feels like some odd interaction between WS Pro and NVidia.

0 Kudos
CharlesGilley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hey, I don't know this CG guy, but I just found his post and it solved my mouse stutter problem.

face palm

0 Kudos