VMware Communities
aallii
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare workstation and player stopped working after a while

I had VmWare workstation working on my Win XP. After not using it for 3 months when I tried to use it it just does not work. When I run it it freezes until I kill the process from process manager. I tried different vmx's and also I re installed the software, but still the same problem. Even the VmWare Player has the same problem.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Tom2k8
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

What is the version of VMWare WS you are using? Maybe during the 3 months Windows might have been updated so much that an older version of VMWare might not work again. If you are licensed for version 6.X, you surely need to install version 6.5.3 which is the newest edition of VMWare WS 6.5.

Installing other software during those 3 months also might wreak havoc with your copy of VMWare.

Please try to browse through the event logs. The System and the Applications are the most interesting. Please hunt for VMWare related events.

It might also be possible that your computer is infected with some malware. You can try Malwarebytes and / or you can run the command MRT ro remove most common malware. Maybe a full system-scan with your anti-virus program might pinpoint some malware. Even when you have maximum protection using anti-malware, it is still possible that some newest piece of malware can wreak havoc. Smiley Sad

It is advisable to do a CLEANMGR command to clean up your hard discs against temporary files. They will leave over in the case of hung applications.

I hope these suggestions help you out of your problem.

0 Kudos
aallii
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a lot for replying.

In fact , I tried the latest version of the vmware WS and it didn't work. I uninstalled and reinstalled it and again it didn't work. Then I uninstalled the WS and only installed the VM player and again the same problem (just figure out how many times I had to restart my machine:( ).

The thing is that it is unable to start the machine, so I figured maybe there is some "access control" issue with that. I checked everything and even the access permissions were fine. (My host OS is win XP).

So, still I am kinda stuck with that, do you have any idea about the source of the problem?

Thanks again

0 Kudos