VMware Communities
tris179
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare workstation Mobile Laptop

Hi Guys.

Probably seen quite a few of these threads,

but,

Looking for your past experiances really.

My firm have agreed to get me a laptop so I can do work while on the move. Because of the work I do its nice to beable to run a replica of the enviroment im using within side vmware, ie DC, then whatever I am currently working on ie SCCM\SQL etc etc.

I am currently limited to the following laptop as this would fall in with all the other laptops in the company and therefore can be reissued later on if need be. Do you think I would be happy with the performance of the following running a couple of VM's.

Dell 4200 - Running windows 7

Intel Core 2 Duo SU9600

5 Gig Ram - Shared with Graphics

128Gig SSD

I guess my main concern is the processor really, as im sure the SSD should be up too the task..

Would you look to go for something a little more spec'd if I can?

Thanks in advance for your help.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

The processing will obviously depend on the nature of the workloads you are working on. If you can live with the system possibly being slow, then all will be well. With that system, if you can get a 64-bit Windows 7 OS and 8GB or more of RAM then I think you will be in very good shape. I tend to run low on memory, before processing ever becomes an issue - again it just depends on the nature and number of workloads you will be using.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

you only have 128 Gb ssd ?

then I guess that the first bottleneck you run into is disk related - can you add more disks via eSATA ?

I would also change the host OS to XP64 or 2k3 64 or 2k3 Enterprise if possible as I find that Windows 7 is a resource hog compared with XP or 2003

I have an older notebook with Intel DualCore T5600, 4 Gb RAM and 2003 Enterprise 32 bit with a PCMCIA eSATA card and a few external disks. Works like a charm for what you want to do ...

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

You also find me in the support crew of PHD Virtual Backup

0 Kudos
tris179
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for your response... Generally that is the case with me also, never seen high CPU utilisation, the nature of my work is usually hardisk, and memory, with the amount of VM's running. I just wasn't sure what to make of the CPU as it quite a small machine and built for power saving than out and out performance.

Yes, anymore than 128gig is quite expensive, I plan to have on the SSD, what I am currently working on, with a external disk as a overflow. The machine has a eSata port, although I haven't seent the disks for that yet. I'll look into that.

I'll see how win7 goes and take it from there, unfortuantly the limiting factor is that the machine can take a max of 5 gig... 1 Onboard (Why they do this I don't know), coupled with a 4 Gig Dimm.

Thanks again

0 Kudos