VMware Communities
liyafe1997
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare workstation 16.2.0 for Linux doesn't work with NTFS compressed folder

Environment:

Ubuntu 20.04 64bit.

NTFS Driver is Paragon NTFS for Linux 9.7.5.

The virtual machine files(vmx and vmdk folder) are stored in an NTFS partition and turned on NTFS compressed.

And this NTFS partition is mounted by Paragon NTFS for Linux driver.

Before VMware 16.2.0 (E.g. 16.1.1, 16.1.0 and so on), everything works fine.

After upgraded to VMWare workstation 16.2.0 for Linux, when the virtual machine files are stored in a NTFS partition with NTFS compress enabled, and use the Paragon NTFS driver for Linux, The VM won't be started.

I can see the error in the vmware.log:
2021-11-08T18:08:53.411Z In(05) vmx Vix: [mainDispatch.c:4206]: VMAutomation_ReportPowerOpFinished: statevar=0, newAppState=1871, success=1 additionalError=0
2021-11-08T18:08:53.412Z Er(02) vmx VMXSTATS: Failed to map file vm.scoreboard. Operation not supported
2021-11-08T18:08:53.412Z Er(02) vmx VMXSTATS: Failed to map, open, or create the file, vm.scoreboard.
2021-11-08T18:08:53.412Z In(05) vmx Module 'VmxStats' power on failed.

I guess it is something wrong with the .scoreboard file. Because before 16.2.0 it doesn't have these files.

I think it doesn't concern about the NTFS driver, because it is transparent compress, and before 16.2.0 it works. But it is really strange.

If I keep the virtual machine folder uncompressed, it works. But I really need compression. It can save a lot of space for vm disks.

I am not sure it is safe to upload the vmware support tgz file to here because I saw it contains a lot of information.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

It doesn't even work reliably on Windows...it's a recipe for corruption, don't do it.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
liyafe1997
Contributor
Contributor

What do you mean "it", the compressed folder or?

It works for me for many years, both Windows and Linux. And for this time it is not the corruption of vmdk or something. It seems why VMware can not create or do something to the file " vm.scoreboard", which is never exist in previous VMware versions...

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, NTFS compression.

If it worked for you then you have been lucky. Running VM's from NTFS compressed folders has created plenty of corrupted VMs. Lots of users trying to do so came reporting their misfortune down here and is as such not a recommended technique. It is fine to archive your VM's on an NTFS compressed folder, running your VMs from that however increases your risk for mishaps.

Obviously, it is your choice to continue using NTFS compressed folders for your VMs and you are welcome to do so (when it works).

re. scoreboard files.. Nobody here knows what they are for and there's no known mechanism to turn them off. They should be in the VM's folder, if not then you can have a locking conflict.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos