VMware Communities
Matthiasvdc
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare workstation 16.1 on Windows 10 Pro 20H2 -> Network bridge problems

Hello,

I just installed 2 new computers they are running Windows 10 Pro version 20H2.

We're using VLANs here: 101, 102 and untagged. The host has a virtual network adapter for each VLAN.

Then I installed VMWare Workstation 16.1.0 build 17198959. The SSD's were transferred from the old computer (Workstation 15.5 and Windows 10 Pro 1909).

In the "Virtual Network Editor" 3 VMNet's were added and then bridged to the corresponding virtual network adapters.

Now in the virtual machines, I can only ping IP's. Doesn't matter where they are located: internal, external, ... Also resolving DNS records is fine, tracert command works also.

What doesn't work is surfing, Microsoft Remote Desktop, ...

All this is setup identically to our other computers. Is there a compatibility issue with the newest Windows 10 Pro and Workstation?

If you need any other information, please ask.

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Ray_CJ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you check your anti-virus and/or firewall logs?

Ray C

0 Kudos
Matthiasvdc
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, that's not the cause of the problem.

0 Kudos
Matthiasvdc
Contributor
Contributor

I've found out wat caused these problems.

To summarize it: using VLAN's and creating bridged network interfaces for it in VMWare workstation doesn't permit encrypted traffic (HTPPS, SSH, RDP, ...).

What did I do to track down the problem: boot up older computers with Windows 10 1909 and Workstation 15. -> Everything worked. So I upgraded Windows 10 to 20H2 and VMWare workstation to 16.10 -> Everything still worked.

Then I started thinking: what's the only difference left between those old computers and the new ones???

-> The network adapter, the new ones had onboard RealTek adapters and the old ones had Intel adapters.

I added a PCIe X4 Intel adapter to one of the new computers and disabled the RealTek adapter in the bios.

Everything works perfectly now. So huge warning: watch out with RealTek adapters and VMWare workstation!!!

0 Kudos
Ray_CJ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Glad to hear you solved it.

I suspect the new adapter cards can still be used if you set the Virtual Network Editor to recognize the new hardware.  Hypervisors can only use the hardware they are configured for and since the network adapter changed, the config must change too.  Note below that my Network Editor is showing my PCI extension card's network adapter.  If I swap with a different one, VMware needs to be configured to recognize it.

Ray_CJ_0-1606935219271.png

Hope that helps...

Ray C

0 Kudos
Straybullet
Contributor
Contributor

It seems Windows 10 Pro 20h2 installed HyperVisor components that break the bridged network, perhaps NAT and other types as well.  Reinstalling VMWare Workstation 16 and selecting repair fixed it for me. Setup detected HyperVisor Guardian and asked if I wanted to install support for it, I selected yes. It installed, rebooted system and my networks in VMware were working again.

0 Kudos