VMware Communities
AlmantasK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMWare workstation 14 Pro puts boots into grub console instead of the usual windows boot

Hello!

Recently, I started having the problem with my virtual machine, where it fails to boot. Every time I power off my virtual machine, it puts me into a window for booting settings, as if there is no bootable disk available. The strange thing is, that this happens to another computer, on a different version of VMWare workstation, also on  a different VM. Maybe the license is expired, that I try to use (but it passed validation)? I am totally confused, because this did not happen half a year ago, with the same VMWare workstation version and the same virtual machine.

If anyone knows anything about this issue, I will more than appreciate the help! Any help is much welcome! Thanks in advance! Smiley Happy

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Use the "Poweron to firmware" button next start and make sure you use an appropriate bootorder.

0 Kudos
AlmantasK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hmm, I can not seem to find the button on my VMWare workstation version, I do not seem to find it in the docs either. Could you please provide more detail? Thank you!

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

see screenshot please

powerontofirmware.png

0 Kudos
AlmantasK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks! I see the button. Is there a reason why it is grayed out? Also, I do not have a recovery disk, if it is needed to recover discs. In any case, I keep reverting to my older snapshot, because the boot fails.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

On that screenshot it is shadowed because the VM is running.

Another reason might be if you virtual hardware is too old and does not support EFI.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
AlmantasK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello, thanks for the update Smiley Happy I managed to get to the Bios screen and double checked the boot order. It was messy before (first removable device, then virtual disc), but now all seems in order. The booting still puts me in the console instead of OS. Am I missing something?

Here is the screenshot of the boot order:
pastedImage_1.png

Thanks for all the help so far!

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Please show a screenshot of. that Grub-screen.

0 Kudos
AlmantasK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is the screens that I see while booting:

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_3.png

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Those screenshots look like a Linux bootmanager or like a tool to fake the vendor parameters in the virtual BIOS.
Have you tried the steps listed under : How to boot back into Windows

0 Kudos