VMware Communities
supercell
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare verison 6.0.5 build-109488: HOST: Suse 11, GUEST: FreeBSD 7.0 PROBLEM: VMWare Tools will not install.......

When attempting to install VMWare tools as root (not using X), on my FreeBSD 7.0 GUEST I get the following message: "This configuartion program is to be executed in a virtual machine. Execution aborted. Bad system call (core dumped)." Is there no current VMWare tools for FreeBSD 7.0? If this is the case, when will it be available?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

VMware Workstation 6.5 contains tools for FreeBSD 7. VMware Workstation 6.5 is a free upgrade to 6.0.x users.

I just tested and the tools do install in a 32-bit FreeBSD 7 Guest.

You'll want to also do the following in the FreeBSD 7 Guest to make it run better as a VM:

• Reduce the kernel timer from 1000Hz to 100Hz by adding the following line to the /boot/loader.conf file and rebooting: kern.hz="100"

• install Perl --> pkg_add -r perl

• install the misc/compat6x port --> cd /usr/ports/misc/compat6x/ && make && make install && make clean

• Then install the VMware Tools as normal.

• Enable time synchronization by shutting down the guest and adding the following line to the .vmx file: tools.syncTime = "TRUE"

• Patch the VMware Tools shutdown script to properly power off the Guest when you hit the "Power button". Edit the "/usr/local/etc/rc.d/vmware-tools.sh" file and add the following "--halt-command" line as shown in the displayed section:

===

vmware_start_guestd() {

cd "$vmdb_answer_SBINDIR" && "$vmdb_answer_SBINDIR"/vmware-guestd \

--halt-command "/sbin/shutdown -p now" \

--background "$GUESTD_PID_FILE"

}

===

0 Kudos