VMware Communities
InTheKnow
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare snapshots reverting and Windows Activation

Hi, everyone! I’m wondering about VMWare snapshots reverting and Windows Activation:

After changing motherboard : Windows 7 64-bit in my VM machine asks for activation again. I wonder, If I reactivate windows and then revert to snapshot taken before reactivation: Will I need to reactivate again? (i.e. every time I revert to snapshot?)

Do I need a windows license for every VMWare machine I use? Right now I have 1 license for the physical machine and 1 extra license I share between the VM machines

First time posting in this community and any help would be super appreciated

Cheers!

/InTheKnow

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

Will I need to reactivate again? (i.e. every time I revert to snapshot?)

Yes, with reverting to a snapshot prior to the re-activation, you will most likely need to re-activate Windows again. After reverting to a snapshot Windows will detect the new hardware again, and since the new activation code is lost with reverting to a snapshot it will force the re-activation.

Do I need a windows license for every VMWare machine I use? Right now I have 1 license for the physical machine and 1 extra license I share between the VM machines

Unless I missed something, Windows 7 is licensed per instance, i.e. you need a license for the host as well as for each VM. Microsoft however offers evaluation licenses for several products. Alternatively you may consider an MSDN subscription if you are running a lab/development environment.

André

0 Kudos
InTheKnow
Contributor
Contributor

Hi!

Thanks for the answer! My issue is that I build VMWare machines with a lot of snapshots and jump between them (lots of reverts). For security I separate different functions and testing new apps.

Does this mean I would have to recreate all of those snapshots (a loooot of work) if Windows starts asking me for activation (since all the current snapshots would have an old activation code and reverting to them would require yet another activation every time you revert)?

It seems to me that other people would have issue with this as well (using lots of snapshots is an excellent feature of VMWare)?

Cheers!

/InTheKnow

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I agree with you. The snapshot feature is awesome for development and other reasons. However, Microsoft unfortunately decided to implemented this re-activation, and it's required for most editions.

André

0 Kudos
InTheKnow
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, right? Maybe the MSDN Subscription you mentioned would at least allow me to reactivate multiple times? I should check it out Smiley Happy

0 Kudos