VMware Communities
epmdev
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMWare on Windows 10 - Error: Insufficient permission to access the file

Application - VMWare Workstation 12 Player

Version - Build Number: 5813279 (latest version)

A couple of days ago, Windows 10 installed the Fall Creators Update on my PC.  Since then VMWare Player throws an error every time I attempt to Power On the VM.

Here's the error:

Could not get snapshot information: Insufficient permission to access the file.

Module 'Snapshot' power on failed.

Failed to start the virtual machine.

Here's what's in the vmware.log.

2017-10-20T10:14:58.438-04:00| vmx| W115: FILE: FileLockCreateEntryDirectory stat failure on 'C:\Users\VM1234\Documents\Virtual Machines\WIN_7_PRO\WIN_7_PRO.vmsd.lck': Permission denied

2017-10-20T10:14:58.439-04:00| vmx| I125: SNAPSHOT: SnapshotConfigInfoReadEx: Failed to lock 'C:\Users\VM1234\Documents\Virtual Machines\WIN_7_PRO\WIN_7_PRO.vmsd': 'Insufficient permission to access the file'.

2017-10-20T10:14:58.439-04:00| vmx| I125: SNAPSHOT: SnapshotConfigInfoReadEx failed for file 'WIN_7_PRO.vmx': Insufficient permission to access the file (3)

2017-10-20T10:14:58.439-04:00| vmx| I125: Module 'Snapshot' power on failed.

I've given the all users administrative ("Full Control" ) rights to the C:\Users\VM1234\Documents\Virtual Machine folder.  I even copied the virtual machine folder to a root folder - same error.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Tags (2)
21 Replies
mushijima
Contributor
Contributor

I am experiencing the exact same issue.  What is weird is if I move the VMs to an externally connected drive (USB or other), the VMs startup just fine.  I know it's a weird windows permissions issue.   So if anyone has any insights please advise. 

0 Kudos
epmdev
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Per the suggestion of others on the forum, I temporarily moved my VMware image to an external drive and it works. 

Microsoft must have done something with permissions on C Drive.  While not necessarily VMware's fault, the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update build has been available in beta for some time.  Surprised the VMware team didn't run into this problem and issue updated software with a fix.  Disappointing.

If anyone comes up with a work around, please post.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
John_Infowrks
Contributor
Contributor

I too am experiencing the same error when the vmx files are located on the system drive. The .lck files and folder are inaccessible and cannot take ownership/change permissions.  The .lck files and folder disappear after a reboot.  Copying the vmx folders to the backup drive, corrects the issue.

System XPS 8700

Windows 10 Pro 1709

32GB RAM

1TB Samsung SSD - System Drive (VMX Location)

2TB Seagate SSHD - Backup Drive(VMDK Location)

VM Workstation Pro 14

0 Kudos
rbargholz
Contributor
Contributor

Uninstall the creators update, and the problem goes away. This issue affected many installed applications via chocolatey, as well as VMWare on my PC. With VMware Workstation 14 the .lck folders were all locked in such a manner, that only a reboot of the PC allowed access to these folders again. An uninstall of the creators update and all my problems went away. I think the issue here is the new functionality "Exploit Guard": Windows Defender Exploit Guard: Reduce the attack surface against next-generation malware – Windows ... . Experimented a bit to try to resolve the issue, but go nowhere in a very long time, and just do not have to time to look into this furhter, thus the rollback to the previous version.

0 Kudos
mushijima
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, I have confirmed someone else post that it appears to be an "undocumented feature" interaction between VMware workstation 12.5.x, Webroot and Windows 10 build 1709, I haven't traced the cause yet.  But I can tell you this. 

Windows 10 build 1709

VM Workstation 12.5.x  and Workstation 14 (according to other similar threads)

Webroot 9.0.18.34

Tested on Surface Pro 4 and Thinkpad T440p

Hypothesis of Problem: Following upgrade to Windows build 1709, webroot forces VMWare workstation to create temporary locks on files on a "C:\" drive directory, preventing VM to load.

Reported Error is

Could not get snapshot information: Insufficient permission to access the file.

Module 'Snapshot' power on failed.

Failed to start the virtual machine.

Attempted Work arounds:

1. Move VMs to other media - I've used two different external media - USB based drive and SD-Card, both enabled VMs to start up while Webroot was active - Not ideal

2. Turn off Webroot, as soon, as I've done this the lock file condition goes away and VMs startup normally, no reboot required.  But this does disable webroot - Not ideal

3. Attempted to create and exception in webroot for VM directory - did not work

4. Thought this might be some weird interaction with Window's new protected folder system in build 1709, disabled that, added VM applications to it - No effect

My company's IT organization has opened a case with Webroot, I'll advise if I find anything.  Please reply if anyone else learns anything!

epmdev
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Wow, very impressive fact finding.  I confirmed this behaviror on my PC.  If I disable Webroot, all is well with VMware.  With Webroot 9.0.18.38 enabled, VMware fails.

I'll see if I can open a support request with Webroot.

rbargholz
Contributor
Contributor

I have Webroot installed as well, but did not think of deactivating Webroot. I am using VMWare 14.0, and am experiencing the same issue. The issue also affected an update of dropbox, locking the dropbox directory in the same manner that the VMWare directories are being locked, preventing the update. Thanks for reproducing and reporting this to Webroot.

0 Kudos
Ssherjj
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have been having all of the issues described here in this thread.. I even rolled back WCFU and I was able to access my VM's. But I updated again to the WFCU and have the same issues as before. I have submitted to the Webroot Support Team and they are working with me. They did Whitelist some Unknown Files but that has not helped so far. I am waiting for a further response from Webroot Support for further action on this issue.

At least I know I am not the only one that this is happening to. Sad to say..

0 Kudos
mushijima
Contributor
Contributor

Update to my earlier post.  I am working with Webroot tech support via my company's IT support.  I have submitted logs to them.  As soon as I learn anything from them, I will post. 

mushijima
Contributor
Contributor

More updates:  My company received the following update from Webroot:

"We've been able to reproduce the issue in house. Our Webroot Development team has been notified of this issue and is currently working on a resolution.

At this time, shutting Webroot down prior to launching the Virtual Machine appears to be the only work around.

I have added you onto the defect and will update you once the issue has been resolved. "

As I learn more, I will post.

galdrich
Contributor
Contributor

Looking forward to your updates. I've been struggling with this for days. VMware Workstation 14.0, Windows 10 Pro V 1709, OS Build 16299.19, and Webroot. Shutting down Webroot finally allowed me to launch my VM. If need be, I can run off an external drive but it defeats the purpose of having this on a laptop.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
epmdev
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Everyone: I sent a tweet Webroot and this was their response.

Our Team is working on a reproduction of the issue right now. Please submit a ticket to stay up-to-date. ~JP

I've opened a ticket.  Will update this discussion when more info comes available.

Here's a link to the Tweet conversationhttps://twitter.com/thinkfdm/status/922647576201056257

0 Kudos
dash68
Contributor
Contributor

Still no update on this?

New engineers PC updated to this over weekend and have just now run across this problem.  Have also submitted to our IT support, but sounds like there may not be a resolution yet.

0 Kudos
DCSpooner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Webroot has fixe the issue and has pushed out the update.

i have not been having to disable webroot to run my local VMs.

0 Kudos
mushijima
Contributor
Contributor

Hey All,

The problem has been positively identified as a bug in Webroot versions prior to 9.0.18.44  Webroot released version x.44 about two weeks ago.  Users should have received the patch automatically.  I have personally tested this version with VM Workstation successfully.

0 Kudos
shortwho
Contributor
Contributor

I have a work around.

Shrink the C drive for the size needed for your VM.

Create a new partition NTFS. My is now drive V. Copy the VM into that partition and import it into VM workstation.

Thanks to epmdev for the clue on how to make this work around.

0 Kudos
siradlib
Contributor
Contributor

I also experienced that problem with Workstation 15 Pro, version 15.0.2 build-10952284 on Windows 10, Version 10.0.17134.472.

As a workaround, I´m running Workstation with Administrator privileges.

I don´t have any "webroot" installed, though. So I guess it must be an issue with latest Windows Creators Update.

0 Kudos
xishengzhang
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks siradlib for your posting.

Could you please help to check whether there is any other antivirus running here? or is there any physical disk added in your VM or some of your snapshots ever had physical disk associated?

0 Kudos