VMware Communities
tomwg123
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare integrated debugger for Visual Studio configured firewall incorrectly

I'm not sure where to report this. I just figured it out, but I wasted a lot of time on it. For a while I couldn't figure out why Visual Studio would fail to do live debuggin in a VMWare VM. I would see it report in the VM that it connected to the debug monitor. Then I would hear a few beeps on the host / Visual Studio side. After a minute or so it would timeout and report an error.

I finally tracked it down to the Firewall blocking some of the required TCP/UDP ports. On the first run VMWare / Visual Studio detected my Firewall had to be setup to let them through. I told it okay and to go ahead. Turns out it only added the exceptions to the "public" type networks. My home LAN in the "private" classification didn't have any exceptions.

I'm wondering if maybe the integrated debugger applies the changes to whatever network type the VMWare virtual adapters belong to. I had two both in the "public" classification. The only reason why though was because I've never made use of host-only networking. I only use bridged mode in my VM's.

Hopefully the information is useful.

0 Kudos
0 Replies