VMware Communities
mogulman
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare guest on SSD w/OS or 2nd drive for speed

I am using Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate on a Lenovo i5 Notebook with 4GB RAM.   It had a 320gb HD.    I was using VMWare 7.x with a Windows XP guest (1GB Ram, 1 CPU, 17GB space (max 40gb)).   I tried using a preallocated hd and wasn't happy with the performance for VMware

So I got an OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD and imaged my laptop to the 120gb SSD.   VMWare guest seems much snappier.   Although I am concerned about the HD space.

I was thinking about putting my old 320gb HD in a caddy and putting it in the DVD-Rom spot on the Notebook.   That would give me more space.

The question is....

Move the VMware guest to the 320GB HD  (potentially increasing speed because I'm using a 2nd drive, but HD might be slower)

or

Just use the 320gb HD for Docs...etc...   because the VMware guest will be faster on the SSD

Anyone tried this or have any opinions?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mogulman
Contributor
Contributor

No one??   SSD on main drive or 2nd HD drive??  which might be faster?

0 Kudos
Lawrence
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Depends on where you want the speed, and where you do most of your work.

For example, on my work laptop (and home PC), I do very little work at the host OS layer, so leaving the Host OS on regular HD makes sense for me, and leave my VMs on the SSD(s) for performance.

For desktop at home, with recent sales, I got a 60GB SSD and I plan to move OS system/boot onto that SSD, leaving most of my VMs on an OCZ Vertex 2 120GB.  The WD Black 1TB drive that came with the system does well enough compare to my older WD Raptor 10k 150GB, that lower priority / I/O need VMs will move onto that (removing the Raptor drive to reduce power/heat).

On a laptop,

- if you are using a physical drive, contain your host OS and VMs, you have spindle contention.  Move onto a SSD, and you no longer have spindle contention (though depending on usage patterns (unlikely, but possible) might have bandwidth limitations).

So for your laptop - what are you looking for?

- want the Host OS to boot quick - then you want to keep that on SSD

- The VM will be slower moving it back onto a physical HD vs the SSD

Depending on size of your Host OS footprint, you might want to keep the OS and VM on the SSd, and install larger (less frequently used) apps and data files to the physical HD.

- becuase of my usage pattern, I like keeping my VMs on the SSD, and not worry about the host.  I also picked up a couple of cables ($10-15) that allow me to run the SSDs as external drives off the laptop (without enclosure.  eSATAp on Dell's a combined eSATA - seperate USB with one SATA connector on other end for HP/other with eSATA (but not powered) port)

- Have you become spoiled with SSD speed and want space and speed for Host OS, and spped for VM?  maybe get another SSD (instead of re-using hte 320GB SATA HD for the drive carrier?  You could keep the 320GB for storage/backups

0 Kudos