VMware Communities
tekion
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare guest OS and VPN

Hi,

does anyone know if a guest OS with Bridge Network could benefit from a HOST OS VPN connections? IE, I have a vpn connection on my host OS, could my guest OS with Bridge Nework also use the vpn connection? Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Do you mean that you are running some client access software to a VPN router? If not, what sort of VPN?

I doubt very much that you can share the connection. At least client access software (on the remote system) connected to our VPN router does not make that available.

That said, I have never really tried sharing internet access from the host, I just connect the VM to the VPN via the client access software.

Lou

0 Kudos
ajauhar
Contributor
Contributor

I have a guest OS of winxp having a cisco vpn software. When I try to connect the cisco vpn software in the guest os, the guest OS dies with a blue screen. Guest OS is running on a bridged network connection and uses the wireless card of the host OS.

Here the configurations

Guest OS

Win XP SP2, cisco vpn 4.8 running on a bridged network connection and uses the wireless card of the host OS.

Host OS

win xp Sp3, 2 GB RAM, broadcom LAN Card, Intel 3945G wireless card

have you successfully connected a cisco vpn software in the guest OS over a wireless bridged connection.

0 Kudos
tekion
Contributor
Contributor

I am running connectivity vpn client and also check point.

I start my guest OS up in bridge network . Test connectivity on guest OS. I have confirm there is no issue with network connectivity.

connect with either check point or connectivity vpn client. Host OS has no issue with network connectivity. Guest OS, has no network connectivity.

On my Mac fusion, the above scenarios work.

On my XP, with older version of VMWARE it works. I don't know at what release this stop workin. I am uninstalling and installing the old version. I am hopping this is the root cause.

One thing I am not unsure of, I currently see vmnet1 and vmnet8 on my host OS. I thought I use to vmnet0 as well, could someone confirm if vmnet0 is present on their host OS?

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

We mostly use Sonicwall VPN appliances although we have one Cisco something4000 (was Linksys VPN router) that uses the QuickVPN software. The Cisco is flaky but that has nothing to do with VM's. The Sonicwall always connects via bridged VM. That from XP, Vista, W7 VM's. all bridged.

I have been using it since VMWare 5.0

Lou

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I don't recall seeing so many BSOD posts in the forums. I have never had a blue screen, that I can remember.

Have a look here:

http://sanbarrow.com/workstation-faq.html

and join this thread:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/242746?tstart=30

It sounds like VMWare folks may be looking for cases to work on.

That said, I have only updated my Linux host to VMW 7.0, I am waiting for the dust to settle before upgrading my laptop (W7). Smiley Happy

Lou

0 Kudos