VMware Communities
glenikins
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWare converter - Windows NT

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place for this question, but I need to create a VM image of a Windows NT computer.  I was hoping to use the Converter Standalone package until I realised that this was not compatible with NT.  I then read that an older version (3.0.2) of the converter did work with NT, but was crushed to learn that it was no longer available for download.  Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks,

Glen

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

glenikins wrote: I've checked this and v4.0.1 does support Windows NT (SP6) but only for a virtual machine source, not for a powered-on physical machine conversion.  It's a physical Windows NT machine that I need to convert to a VM.  Do I have any options for this?

Yes, there are always options.  The obvious one is since VMware-converter-3.0.3-89816.exe is no longer available for download from VMware nonetheless it can be downloaded from elsewhere.  Not saying I recommend that however it's an option and if you do choose that route then make sure the SHA1 checksum is: 29ed0cc664df0a7caba542ad1d3e18eb3aed4e96

Another option might be to use imaging software to create an image of the pHDD to a vHDD in a VM and then see if Converter can process the imaged VM to boot properly and install VMware Tools.

Then other option is similar to the second option only after imaging P2V boot the VM with appropriate ISO Image and manually inject the necessary Mass Storage Controller and Keyboard Driver and Windows Registry Settings to enable the VM to boot and then install VMware Tools.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

According to the VMware vCenter Converter Standalone 4.0.1 Release Notes, this version still supports Windows NT SP6. You should still be able to download this version after registering for the Converter at https://www.vmware.com/go/getconverter.

André

glenikins
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi André,

I've checked this and v4.0.1 does support Windows NT (SP6) but only for a virtual machine source, not for a powered-on physical machine conversion.  It's a physical Windows NT machine that I need to convert to a VM.  Do I have any options for this?

Regards,

Glen

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

glenikins wrote: I've checked this and v4.0.1 does support Windows NT (SP6) but only for a virtual machine source, not for a powered-on physical machine conversion.  It's a physical Windows NT machine that I need to convert to a VM.  Do I have any options for this?

Yes, there are always options.  The obvious one is since VMware-converter-3.0.3-89816.exe is no longer available for download from VMware nonetheless it can be downloaded from elsewhere.  Not saying I recommend that however it's an option and if you do choose that route then make sure the SHA1 checksum is: 29ed0cc664df0a7caba542ad1d3e18eb3aed4e96

Another option might be to use imaging software to create an image of the pHDD to a vHDD in a VM and then see if Converter can process the imaged VM to boot properly and install VMware Tools.

Then other option is similar to the second option only after imaging P2V boot the VM with appropriate ISO Image and manually inject the necessary Mass Storage Controller and Keyboard Driver and Windows Registry Settings to enable the VM to boot and then install VMware Tools.

0 Kudos