VMware Communities
NewTOVMButLearn
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare and SAN VM mount

My VMware 3.5 can see my SAN storage and I copied one of my virtual machine setups to it. The two files VMDK and OVF files are on the SAN and my VMware has access to it via the storage tab.

I would like to mount and startup that virtual machine that is stored on the SAN. Is there a quick set of instructions on how to do this? I have two books but neither explain how to mount the VM that is stored on a SAN. It does not show up on the left where my locally stored VM machines do.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
z_chris
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

the only way i've done this is by using converter

http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/

Also, make sure that you don't have any snapshots on the vm guest

chris

0 Kudos
NewTOVMButLearn
Contributor
Contributor

I think you may have misinterpreted this. These are already real VM machines that were stored on the orginal VM server. I just exported them and then copied them to the SAN drive. I just want to use the SAN drive as my storage unit for the VM files that I can startup like I do on a basic setup.

0 Kudos
z_chris
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yeah, my apologies. You were were in the vmworkstation section so I assumed that the orig vms were from created from workstation.

So to answer your question, if you have the vmdk's in the datastore and the host can see the datastore. All you need to do is similar to creating a new vm guest on the host but instead of creating the new vmdk just point to the existing vmdk.

Hope this this helps.

Chris

0 Kudos
NewTOVMButLearn
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry wasn't aware I was in workstation. I thought I tried that the other day, but will look it over again. Thank You

0 Kudos