VMware Communities
FLJamie
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Workstation upgrade to 16.1 on Ubuntu 20.10 broken

Ran the upgrade for Workstation 16.1 on my Ubuntu 20.10 system and now VMWare Workstation will not load.  Getting an error about modules missing.

VMWare Error.png

error services.png

I have removed vmware workstation and reinstalled the 16.1 full install and still having issues.  I saw a few posts about similar issues but it was for older versions of VMWare and Ubuntu.  Tried some of those fixes and they are not working.  Was running fine with v16, so just something wrong with the system after the upgrade and it was not cleaned up by a uninstall and reinstall.  Thanks for any help!

2 Replies
love4vmware
Contributor
Contributor

hello,

I also encountered that problem, I solved it with this command.

sudo apt install build-essential

if you get the same message, click on install.

I hope this helped.

0 Kudos
ahmedmasud
Contributor
Contributor

Yes this is messed up.  It's because of the new patches to SSL and how vmware is linked.  You can temporarily fix this by doing the following:

Uninstall the installed vmware:

sudo vmware-installer -u vmware-workstation

THEN: 

sudo apt install libssl1.0.0 # this is optional
sudo ln -s libssl.so.1.0.0 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so.1.0.2 sudo ln -s libcrypto.so.1.0.0 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so.1.0.2
sudo ldconfig

IMPORTANT NOTES:

1. PAY ATTENTION TO THE ORDER OF THE VERSIONS IF YOU ARE TYPING IT OUT BY HAND!

2. There are libssl.so.1.1.0 and libcrypto.so.1.1.0 installed as well. LEAVE THEM ALONE, and DO NOT CREATE SYMBOLIC LINKS to them instead thinking "oh that's the newer version let me use that instead"

Now, Reinstall vmware-16.1.0 bundle 

You should be good now.

0 Kudos