VMware Communities
dpev
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Workstation no longer boots VM's - apparently no way to contact support....

So, I've got VMWare Workstation Pro 16 running on Ubuntu 20.04. At the suggestion of workstation, I recently upgraded to v16.2.1 - since then, my windows VM's will no longer boot. (you get a corrupted BIOS screen and then vmware hangs and you have to restart the vmware service to run it again.

I tried using the web system to contact support but apparently I don't have any support "entitlement"  - or they think I don't own a vmware license... I tried calling the UK phone numbers listed, but they push you back to the website and disconnect you.

This is immensely frustrating as the update has now left me unable to use my VMs and nowhere to go to find out how to fix the issue (30 mins googling and searching the forums finds nothing relevent)

Any suggestions? Im incredibly disappointed at this process as having been using VMWare since 1999 or so, I've always had an excellent experience until now...

0 Kudos
1 Reply
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

VMware introduced a Vulkan Renderer in Workstation 16.2 for Linux and a number of people seem to have problems using that.

I would suggest to try and download + install 16.1.2 and see if that helps:
Download Workstation 16.1.2 Linux

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos