VMware Communities
slickscorp
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Workstation no longer accessible after deleting snapshot.

Hello,

I just installed the new version of VMWave which supports Unity. After installing it I decided to make a new snapshot which was created without any problems. Then I thought I'd delete the old snapshot. I did this through the snapshot manager. After clicking delete the snapshot manager did not close. It just sat there in a 'hung' state for 10 minutes. Other VM's were inaccessible - only the snapshot manager window. I could not close or select any of the other snapshots listed in the snapshot manager. I forced a shut-down of VMWare Workstation and then tried reopening. The VM had disappeared from the favourits list so I went to the VM folder and deleted all the .lck files which normally solves that problem. Still however, I am unable to open the VM.

I tried opening the VM in VMWare Player as well - and the program also just hung up after creating a new .lck file. I have created a screen shot of all files in the VM's folder. The one file that looks out of place is the first one. It is the same size as all the snapshot files. I have tried renaming this to see if this would solve the porblem but alas it does not. I dont see anything else out of place. How can I get my VM back and get rid of this unneeded snapshot?

I have attached the 4 log files in the folder as a zip file if anyone can extract anything useful from them. I am unable to see anything that helpful.

Host Spec:

Processors: Intel Quad Core Q9450

RAM: 8 GB

Guest:

Processors: 2

RAM: 1.5 GB

While I doubt it is related, I can't get unity to function correctly. It provides the VM-guest menu on the host, but no windows are transported. If I open something on the VM menu from the host machine, it opens correctly, but I can't see it until I exit unity mode and look inside the VM again. I guess I'm wondering if I am experiencing a bigger overall problem with this VM rather than just related to the snapshots?

Can anyone provide any guidance?

Regards

0 Kudos
7 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> The one file that looks out of place is the first one. It is the same size as all the snapshot files.

You can ignore that first file - you get it because your VM uses the silent default

mainmem.useNamedFile = "true"

This file is the size of the nominal RAM you assigned to the VM. It is only used as a pagefile file for the virtual RAM - you can ignore it .

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
slickscorp
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you.

I removed the file from the folder and restarted the VM and it seemed to start up again. Not quite sure why renaming it did not result in the same effect.

I tried using the snapshot manager to delete the snapshot I wanted to delete again and I get exactly the same problem again. It seems to me like this functionality is not currently working.

To delete the snapshot manually, is it as simple as identifying the correct snapshot<x>.vmem and snapshot<x>.vmsn files and removing them from disk, or is there something more complex at play here that we need the snapshot manager for?

Regards

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> To delete the snapshot manually, is it as simple as identifying the

correct snapshot<x>.vmem and snapshot<x>.vmsn files and

removing them from disk, or is there something more complex at play

here

Never do that - thats a simple way to mess up your VM.

You need to post more details - otherwise we can't help you

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
slickscorp
Contributor
Contributor

Ok,

I have attached a screen shot of my attempt to use the snapshot manager to delete the snapshot. I left it all day while I was at work in the hopes it was just taking a long time to respond, but it seems its not the case.

I can not access the VM again whilst this modal dialog is displayed. I can not close the dialog by clicking close or the red cross. The only way out of this is via the task manager and clicking 'End Task'.

I have attached a copy of my vmx & vmxf files in case that helps. Please let me know what other details I can provide.

Regards

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi

I need a detailed file-list - including size and

a copy of all vmdk-descriptors - that are the small vmdk files (1KB)

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
slickscorp
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I have looked for the vmdk descriptor files but as you will see from the screenshot of the file list, there are none that are small like you suggest.

I have attached the screenshot of all files in the folder.

Additionaly if any use - I have reattached the 4 log files.

Regards

0 Kudos
InforMed_Direct
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I just installed the new version of VMWave which supports Unity. After installing it I decided to make a new snapshot which was created without any problems. Then I thought I'd delete the old snapshot. I did this through the snapshot manager. After clicking delete the snapshot manager did not close. It just sat there in a 'hung' state for 10 minutes. Other VM's were inaccessible - only the snapshot manager window. I could not close or select any of the other snapshots listed in the snapshot manager. I forced a shut-down of VMWare Workstation and then tried reopening. The VM had disappeared from the favourits list so I went to the VM folder and deleted all the .lck

Just to chip in here, I've just had exactly the same. Quite a complex series of shapshots (four various branches) and whilst deleting the redundant ones, it said "Cleanup up deleted files" and then the dialog disappeared. The "snapshot manager" dialog stayed on screen with no way of closing it.

After about 15 minutes, I terminated WS 6.5 and restarted. Our of the six or so snapshot files I'd asked to delete, only two of them had been deleted. I was then able to delete the rest without a problem.

Not specifically looking for a fix, just reporting it as "Also seen here".

Cheers, Rob.

0 Kudos