VMware Communities
CBerrios
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Workstation error, "Unable to transfer the base distribution from acd0" error installing FreeBSD 6 as Guest O/S on Windows XP Pro Host

I'm trying to install FreeBSD 6 as a guest O/S on my Windows XP PC. I downloaded the ISO files from the FreeBSD website and when I tried to go through guest O/S installation I get the error "Unable to transfer the base distribution from acd0". I tried both burning the ISO file(s) to CD-R's and using my CD-ROM drive as well as pointing VMWare directly to the ISO files that I downloaded, but no matter what I do I get this error. If I answer "No", then it has the same error on every install screen after that and the O/S doesn't get installed. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to correct this problem?

Attached is the log file vmware.log from the Guest O/S install; appreciate the help.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

Can you post/attach "vmware.log" from guest directory on host?

0 Kudos
CBerrios
Contributor
Contributor

Appreciate the help. I attached the log file "vmware-1.log" that was in the Guest O/S area.

0 Kudos
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

You don't have "vmware.log"?

Make sure virtual floppy is set to start as " not connected".

0 Kudos
CBerrios
Contributor
Contributor

I appreciate the suggestion, but it didn't change anything, I'm still getting the same error. I attached the vmware.log file.

I'm attaching also a document with a screenshot of the procedures I followed.

Thanks.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be the cause of this problem?

0 Kudos
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

Page 8 - Choose to Install a Standard MBR

Make sure not to select installation of VMware Tools at this time!

0 Kudos
DLwig
Contributor
Contributor

This is the error you get when you try to install from the live CD. I would check your media.

0 Kudos