VMware Communities
alyanm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWare Workstation Virtual Machine won't resume

I have a Windows XP VMWare Workstation (7.4) Virtual machine  installed on Windows 7 64 bit which is suspended.  I click resume and it brings up the VMWare screen for a few seconds and then it closes with no messages of any sort.  The reset button is disabled, the only thing it lets me do is resume the VM and that doesn't do anything.  Help!  Can anybody help me get this VM running again?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Virtual machines should not get touched when you uninstall/reinstall VMware Workstation on the host system. All you need to do is to open them from the Workstation menu to add them to the favorites again.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You can "pull the power plug" for the suspended VM, by deleting the .vmss and .vmem files from the VM's folder. If you want, take a look at the vmware.log file - located in the VM's folder - to see whether it contains any hints on why the VM wouldn't resume.

André

alyanm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the suggestion.  That did get it out of the resume mode, but now it won't power up either, again no error message presented.  I'm attaching the most recent log file, I don't see what is causing the problem -- maybe one of you guys can help me figure it out?  What would be the next step?

Thanks!

Alan

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It looks like these lines describe the issue:

Sep 24 13:42:36.087: vmx| IOCTL_VMCI_INIT_CONTEXT failed: Access is denied
Sep 24 13:42:36.087: vmx| VMCI: Failed to open handle to vmci.
Sep 24 13:42:36.087: vmx| Module DevicePowerOn power on failed.

Can you please temporarily create a new Windows 7 64 bit VM and try to start it. I would like to see whether the issue is related to the VM or VMware Workstation at all.

André

0 Kudos
alyanm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Seems to have the same problem when I attempt to create a new VM.  What does that error mean?  I haven't made any hardware changes to my computer.  Everything else on my computer is working fine as far as I can tell.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What does that error mean?

I was afraid you would ask this Smiley Wink

Here is the definition for VCMI:

The Virtual Machine Communication Interface (VMCI) supports fast and efficient communication between guest virtual machines and their host server.

I can't tell you for sure what's causing this issue.

Does your system run in a domain with restrictive policies?

Did you recently upgrade/update AV or firewall applications?

Unless you already did, try to run VMware Workstation as the Administrator to find out whether the "Access denied" error message only occurs when running VMware Workstation with your "normal" user account.

As a last step you could try to uninstall and then reinstall VMware Workstation.

André

0 Kudos
alyanm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Too bad, it would be nice to have more information on that error.

I did try admin to no avail.  No and no to the other two questions.

Guess its time for a reinstall, bummer!

Is it possible to copy my Windows XP VMWare Workstation VM from another computer so I don't have to go through the lengthy installation and setup process?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Virtual machines should not get touched when you uninstall/reinstall VMware Workstation on the host system. All you need to do is to open them from the Workstation menu to add them to the favorites again.

André

0 Kudos
alyanm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That did the trick, Thanks!

0 Kudos