VMware Communities
Slow4444
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Workstation Pro 16.2.X crashes (using Windows 10 Host) with unrecoverable error: (vcpu-0)

I'm on Windows 10 19043.1348, with AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, GTX 1080 TI, 32gb ram memory and all Guest is on SSD (not sure how relevant are the informations but I listed anyway)

The VM does not crash upon startup, but it will eventually crash if it's being used long enough, but I can also force it to crash by starting another VM from Workstation. So if I start 1. VM and wait for it startup, then start 2. VM, the 1. VM will crash while 2. VM is starting and sometime even the 2. VM will crash while trying to startup.

This happens regardless of Guest OS (or well at least I've tried Windows 10 and Ubuntu + variation (Mint and Pop)), nothing seems to fix this... But I will list things I've tried:

• Host's secure boot enable/disable
  • Host's SMT enable/disable
  • Different Guest's ram memory, processors and gpu memory configuration
  • 3D acceleration enable/disable
  • Fully uninstall Workstation and reinstall as 16.2.1
  • Made sure I had others virtualization software either disable or uninstalled (Windows Hyper-V/Virtualization platform and VirtualBox (didn't even had installed))

The most frustrating thing is that if I downgrade VMWorkstation Pro to 16.1.2, the crashes stop (even on the same VM that would crashes on 16.2.X). Not to mention that recently I've have had performan degradation on Linux Guest that also have mouse flickering symptoms, which nothing else fixes it beside Host's restart/relog (discussed here)

Annoyingly I've tried to live without Workstation (I'm software developer that uses VM for my work), but VirtualBox performance (especially in 3D acceleration) is so bad compared to Workstation and Hyper-V just makes everything runs on VM causing host to lose performance even when other VM is not running...

PS. I've attached the logs that seems relevant

EDIT: Further more investigation, it seems like it crashes when I switch Workstation windows/tabs to another VM... It seems like renderer crashes, when I switch the tab to view another VM according to mksSandbox.log.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
reb0rn
Contributor
Contributor

I have 5950x 128GB ram, also as soon I start 2nd VPS at same time after few minutes it crash

16.2.1 is the version

Host OS is Windows 11, I have win7 and ubuntu 20.04 as guest, if just one used it works fine

Also when enabling HDR in win11 the win7 VM crashed

Also I did upgrade my VM to latest 16.2.x is that also had some influence

0 Kudos
Slow4444
Contributor
Contributor

What is your graphic card and driver version?

0 Kudos
reb0rn
Contributor
Contributor

RTX3060
driver 471.96

0 Kudos