VMware Communities
Wim_van_Gool
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWare Workstation Pro 15 installer does nothing (on Windows 10)

I just downloaded the new Workstation Pro 15 installer for Windows (from here) and tried to run the installer on my machine (where Workstation Pro 14 is currently installed).

The installer runs, seems to do its things, but shows a pop-up after about 10 seconds that the changes made require a system reboot. Unfortunately, whether I reboot or not, version 15 does not seem to be installed, as when I run Workstation Pro, it still shows version 14.

Is this a common problem? Is there something wrong with the installer?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
haiweiz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Find the details steps following please:

1. Goto control panel->Programs->Uninstall a program

2. In the programs list, find the program named "Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x86) - 14.0.XXXXX" and "Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x64) - 14.0.XXXXX".

3. Right click each of them, run "Uninstall"

4. After that, try to run WS15 installer again.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
haiweiz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello, Wim_van_Gool:

Most likely you have older version of VC140 runtime installed, at this time, the VC140 runtime try to upgrade itself and request a reboot.

You can uninstalled the VC140 runtime before upgrade WS15, and installed WS15, then WS15 installer will install VC140 runtime and then upgrade WS14 to WS15.

0 Kudos
haiweiz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Find the details steps following please:

1. Goto control panel->Programs->Uninstall a program

2. In the programs list, find the program named "Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x86) - 14.0.XXXXX" and "Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x64) - 14.0.XXXXX".

3. Right click each of them, run "Uninstall"

4. After that, try to run WS15 installer again.

0 Kudos
Wim_van_Gool
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Haiweiz,

Great thanks for this solution. I removed both versions of the (old) VC++ 14.0 libraries, ran the setup again and now it worked flawlessly.

However, just as a note of improvement: shouldn't the setup process, if it attempts to update these libraries, just complete that update proces (after a reboot if required) and then automatically work as expected?

0 Kudos
haiweiz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Glad to know this issue resolved. And thank you, I will put this into our backlog.

0 Kudos