VMware Communities
PatrickSteranka
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Workstation Pro 12.5 crashes immediately after starting

I'm running VMWare Workstation Pro 12.5.0 build-4352439 and it is crashing when I try to run it.

Background

I run my VMWare host on Windows 7 64bit OS that has two or three NIC cards.

I don't use the HOST OS for any work so it doesn't have internet connectivity.

I set the default routes to "blank" so only things on the local network can be reached.

I periodically add default routes and install Window and VMWare patches, and then

disable the default routes to leave the HOST OS without internet access.

Something happened and I was getting VMWare crashes when using multiple monitors

and then VMWare Workstation Pro would not start up.

The error was:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VMware Workstation unrecoverable error: (vmui)

Exception 0xc0000005 (access violation) has occured.

A log file is available in "C:\Users\user1\AppData\Local\Temp\vmware-user1\vmware-ui-2052.log".

You can request support.

To collect data to submit to VMWare support, choose "Collect Support Data" from the Help Menu.

You can also run the "vm-support" script in the Workstation folder directly.

We will respond on the basis of your support entitlement.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't have support, so I'm sending in this question on the forum with the hopes someone can help.

What have I done?

(1) Update Windows 7 to install all of the latest patches.

(2) Download and install the latest version of VMWare Workstation Pro 12.5 build-4352439.

(3) And opened my previously created VMs.

(4) Everything worked.

(5) I disabled my default router so again VMware's NIC interface would have no route to the internet.

(6) VMWare Workstation Pro crashed when the app was started.

(7) I re-enabled the internet, and it ran.  Hum.

(8) I don't want to have my host OS connected to the internet so I disabled it to collect a log file to submit here for support.

(9) For grins, I ran "VMWare repair" (with No HOST internet connectivity), and this fixed VMWare.  It would start again.

(10) Things ran for several days but the problem has re-occurred.

What is odd, is that some days it will startup and run without a problem but other days it won't start ever.

I typically have three to five VMs running so almost always I have one VM UI working, and if I open the VM

I want in that UI, it opens and runs without a problem.

Another thing that started happening is that VMs running under a multi-monitor setup would no longer expand

to all monitors.  I have 4 monitors (all 24" 1920x1080 or so) and in a combination of landscape and portrait views.

For years, VMware has worked fine with this configuration.  The last two releases have become less stable.

In most cases, I don't need all 4 monitors for a single VM and so I'll just expand to 2 monitors or 3 in some cases.

But if I expand to the 4th monitor VMWare crashes or says "I can't switch to that mode".  When it crashes the

VM remains running and IFF I'm able to restart VMware I can sometimes re-attach to the running VM.

Other times I can't.

I run a combination of:

(1) Windows 7 (has issues expanding to 4 monitors), but goes to 2 monitors reliably and sometimes 3 monitors.  This used to run on all 4 monitors for the last two years.

(2) Windows 10 (works consistently when expanding to 4 monitors)

(3) CentOS 7.2 (fails with 4 monitors, but has worked up to 3 monitors).  Similar to Windows 7.

(4) Some other versions of Linux in which multi-monitor support doesn't work (no VMWare tools support).

I'd like to get back to a stable host OS platform, and would like recommendations.

NOTE: I don't care if my host OS is Windows or Linux as I don't do any "work" on the host OS, so if there is a multi-monitor version of LINUX that works well with VMWare please let me know, and I'll look to get that system set up and begin using it.

I love the VMWare products.  For years they have been wonderful to have and they have supported the multi-monitor setup wonderfully since it was first supported.

Thanks for a great product!

Patrick

0 Kudos
5 Replies
xindayu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Patrick,

I am very sorry that you ran into the problem.

For the UI crash issue, would you please help provide the dump files on the host, so that we can investigate further?

It's located @C:\Users\user1\AppData\Local\Temp\vmware-user1\vmware.dmp

Thanks a lot!

Xinda

0 Kudos
trini0TWM
Contributor
Contributor

Same thing is happening to me.

I also have a dual head video card (GeForce GT 610 derivative).  Let me try removing that and see what it does.

I've tried:

Windows 10 64-bit

Windows Server 2012 R2

Windows Server 2016 (eval)

My intent was to make this server my workstation, hence the video card..

Workstation Pro 12.5 crash on startup

0 Kudos
xindayu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi trini0TWM,

Very sorry that you ran into such issue!.

Would you please upload the dump file so that we can investigate?

It's located in "C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\vmware-Administrator\vmware.dmp"

Thanks!

0 Kudos
TracyHuang
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the posting regarding the multi-monitor issues.

As you said your win7 cannot cycle to 4-monitors, can it reproduce every time when you cycle to all 4 monitors? did it report error messages? What's the behavior? Since we tried locally and cannot reproduce your issue here.

For Linux GOS, we would suggest that you may run multi-monitors on Ubuntu and replace the open-vm-tools with bundled VMware tools, that would help to support multi-monitor better.

0 Kudos
trini0TWM
Contributor
Contributor

Please see attached dump file.

BTW, this was generated by 12.5.1.

Thanks

0 Kudos