VMware Communities
octoberasian
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Workstation Network Issue

My computer running Vista 64-bit SP1 with VMWare Workstation 6.5.2.

I have two physical NICs installed: one 10/100 on PCI and the other is a 10/100/1000 onboard.

10/100 has the address: 192.168.1.nn1
10/100/1000 has the address: 192.168.1.nn2

Ok, that's the physical part. Now on the virtual part, I have them configured as such in the Network editor:

Vmnet 0 -> 10/100/1000
Vmnet 1 -> Vmware Network Adapter Vmnet 1
Vmnet 2 -> 10/100
Vmnet 8 -> Vmware Network Adapter Vmnet 8

I have a virtual machine running Windows XP SP3 with the network setting set to "Custom: virtual network - Vmnet 2 (Bridged)."

It's detected as an AMD Cnet network adapter with the address set to 192.168.1.vm3 inside the virtual machine.

Now, here's the problem:

I can access the internet
just fine and download files, but using it to have an MMORPG (as a way to test network connections in the virtual machine), it cannot connect to the server.

I have tested WoW and Mabinogi so far, but neither can connect to their respective servers.

I want to run an Apache/MySQL/PHP server on this virtual machine but I want to be sure the network is working properly before I do so.

Did I configure anything wrong in VMware? Or am I missing something?

Again, can access the internet and download files but flaky on the server connections to MMOs.

Connections are as follows again:

192.168.1.nn2 (Gigabit) -> Vmnet 0
192.168.1.nn3 (10/100) -> Vmnet 2 -> AMD Cnet - 192.168.1.vm3 (Virtual)

Eventually if this works properly, I'm going to migrate it to Cent OS 5.2 in VMware once I become more familiar with Linux first.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the forums!

My computer running Vista 64-bit SP1 with VMWare Workstation 6.5.2.

I have two physical NICs installed: one 10/100 on PCI and the other is a 10/100/1000 onboard.

bq. 10/100 has the address: 192.168.1.nn1
10/100/1000 has the address: 192.168.1.nn2

If you do not have some kind of load balancing driver where the two NIC's build a team you should not put both NIC's in one IP subnet. That lead to strange effects like one packet comes in on the one adapter and leaves through the other.

bq. Vmnet 0 -> 10/100/1000
Vmnet 1 -> Vmware Network Adapter Vmnet 1
Vmnet 2 -> 10/100
Vmnet 8 -> Vmware Network Adapter Vmnet 8

I have a virtual machine running Windows XP SP3 with the network setting set to "Custom: virtual network - Vmnet 2 (Bridged)."

It's detected as an AMD Cnet network adapter with the address set to 192.168.1.vm3 inside the virtual machine.

Install the VMware Tools inside the guest if you haven't done so, already. It holds the best driver package for a guest system and is important for some other things.

Now, here's the problem:

bq. I can access the internet
just fine and download files, but using it to have an MMORPG (as a way to test network connections in the virtual machine), it cannot connect to the server.

bq. I have tested WoW and Mabinogi so far, but neither can connect to their respective servers.

bq. I want to run an Apache/MySQL/PHP server on this virtual machine but I want to be sure the network is working properly before I do so.

bq. Did I configure anything wrong in VMware? Or am I missing something?

Again, can access the internet and download files but flaky on the server connections to MMOs.

Connections are as follows again:

bq. 192.168.1.nn2 (Gigabit) -> Vmnet 0
192.168.1.nn3 (10/100) -> Vmnet 2 -> AMD Cnet - 192.168.1.vm3 (Virtual)

Eventually if this works properly, I'm going to migrate it to Cent OS 5.2 in VMware once I become more familiar with Linux first.

Please correct the assignment of the physical NIC's first. Put each adapter into its own IP sugbnet, install a teaming driver or disable one of them. If you're still facing problems, post "ipconfig /all" from each machine (host AND guest) and the .vmx file of the guest.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" replies. Thanks!!

AWo

VCP / vEXPERT 2009

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos