VMware Communities
mkline
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWare Workstation License

I'm thinking about buying VMWare Workstation so I can test Windows 2008 R2 on my home PCs (don't have a new server yet). If I buy VMWare workstation can I only use that license for one host or can I use it for multiple hosts.

I'd like to install it on my laptop and my desktop if possible...hoping this doesn't mean I need two licenses.

Thanks

Mike

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Install Workstation on the host that you use most of the times to work with the VMs.

On all other machines install the free VMplayer.

Both products are directly compatible so you exchange VMs from host to host no matter if that host runs VMplayer or Workstation

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Install Workstation on the host that you use most of the times to work with the VMs.

On all other machines install the free VMplayer.

Both products are directly compatible so you exchange VMs from host to host no matter if that host runs VMplayer or Workstation

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I agree, you don't get all the networking features when you use player, but at least you can create the VM's on the computer (probably the desktop which has more power) and then transfer VM's to the laptop that runs player and you can power VM's up that way.

Or you will become like most of us here on the boards, use it for a while on your desktop then break down and buy another copy for the laptop later on.

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
mkline
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks a lot guys, so I'll go with your suggesion, I'll run workstation on my main Windows 7 PC and player on my laptop.

Thanks

Mike

0 Kudos