VMware Communities
mffoote
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Workstation 9.0.4 does NOT work with OpenSuse 13.2 Linux Kernel ?

VMWare Workstation 9.0.4 does NOT work with OpenSuse 13.2 Linux Kernel ? Has anyone have a solution/Fix?

I had to revert back to openSuse 13.1 , 64-bit , Linux 3.11.6-4-desktop, openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) in order to get VMWare 9.0.4 to run on this Linux Kernel.

Running , Product: VMware® Workstation, Version: 9.0.4 build-1945795 on the 64-bit Host..

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jsa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Perhaps if you told us what messages it gave when it didn't work?

Did it fail to compile because you were not able to tell it where the kernel headers were?

I've ud]sed 1.0.4 on open suse 13.2 but I had to install the kernel headers, and specify the header files

while doing the vmware install.

It asks you for a directory for the headers, and you just need to tell it to use

/usr/src/linux-3.16.6-2-obj/x86_64/desktop/include/generated/uapi/linux/

This might be different for 13.1, but the file you are looking for is version.h

0 Kudos
andreas_1
Contributor
Contributor

For my part, I installed VMware Workstation 9.0.4 successfully on openSUSE 13.2 by applying the patches for kernel 3.13 found at http://ping8888.com/2013/12/13/vmware-modules-kernel-3-13/ and for kernels 3.15/3.16 found at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/VMware#3.15_and_3.16_kernels

(I am not entirely sure whether the 3.15/3.16 patches are really necessary. If I remember correctly, not all patch hunks could be applied. In any event, VMware workstation 9.0.4 is running fine on openSUSE 13.2 afterwards.)

0 Kudos
MrOki
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

You can try this method:

zypper in kernel-source

zypper in gcc

zypper in gccdevel

after that you must running it to rebuild modules:

vmware-modconfig --console --install-all

This is work for me, i hope this can help you.

Regards,

Okik

0 Kudos
mffoote
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks I'll give this a try

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone

0 Kudos