VMware Communities
Gnirheg
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Workstation 8 Network disconnect/timeout

I currently run a machine with Windows 7 64bit O/S (16GB Ram), on top of this VMware Workstation 8.0.1.  Inside VMware Workstation 8.0.1, Oracle Enterprise Linux 6u1 with Oracle 11.2.0.1 64bit Enterprise Edition.

When connecting from the host O/S (Windows 7 64bit) using TOAD and Putty I often have to reconnect as the connection is terminated.   I managed to set a keep alive on Putty 0.60 so this works fine.

TOAD and other software on the other hand gives me the following error "ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel" and one has to reconnect.

When using the same software on a laptop on the same physical network and connecting to the Oracle database on VMware Workstation 8.0.1 no timeouts occur.  Also note that No keep alive settings required for Putty.

Timeouts only occur on the Host/VM communication (VMWare Workstation).

What should I do to resolve this when working on the same host as the VMware Workstation 8.0.1 session runs on and how can I ensure that network connectivity is fast and does not fail?

----> TOAD 11.0 & Putty ---------------->

|                                                               |

----> Other Software -------------------->

|                                                               |

Network Based                                            |

Workstation (Windows 7 64bit) ----------->

|

|     No Timeout occurs when connecting from remote Host/Workstation

......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

|

|

Host (Windows 7 64bit) ----> VMWare Workstation 8.0.1 ----> Guest (Oracle Linux 6u1 64bit) ---- Oracle RDBMS (11.2.0.1 Enterprise Ed)

|                                             |

----> TOAD 11.0 & Putty--->                       Host based Software communicating with Guest O/S times out

|                                             |                        Possible problem on Host/VM network configuration or interaction

----> Other Software ------>

I am considering installing Oracle VM Virtualbox to see if this resolves the issue described above.

Message was edited by: Gnirheg

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Gnirheg
Contributor
Contributor

All remote connections from a PC/Laptop do not disconnect.   No keep alive settings need to be implemented either.

This leads me to suspect that one or more configurable settings governing the network communications between the Host O/S, the VMWare Network and the Guest O/S could be responsible for the timeout.    Timeouts occur around 60 seconds from the time one connects to the Guest O/S.

Putty Connection Configuration (Host/VM only)

PuttyConnectionConfig.png

0 Kudos
Gnirheg
Contributor
Contributor

Some additional information that may be usefull in providing me with a solution to this issue.

Guest O/S Network is bridged providing direct access to the local and wide area network.

What alternative network configurations will provide access to the Host O/S, Local and Wide Area Network?

0 Kudos
Gnirheg
Contributor
Contributor

The VMware Network Adaptors are treated as an Unidentified Network/Public Network on the Host O/S.

1885119.png

The Unidentified Network is treated as a public network and is not trusted by the Host.   It has direct access to the internet.

How would one go about setting up network access between the Host and the VM?   Should one create another VM Network Adapter that is on the same subnet as the Host and NAT it?

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Gnirheg
Contributor
Contributor

An important question that no one seems to ask is "What Firewall and HIPS software are in the equation?".

After extensive problem determination I have discovered that ESET Smart Security 5 and the firewall is the main culprit.  Regardless of rules and whether interactive or learning mode is used, when the firewall is on connectivity to the public NIC is disconnected after several seconds. 

To use VMware in this scenario one has to disable the Firewall to be able to work!

TOAD must be communicating with an unpublished port or attempting some operation that is not applied in the firewall rules.

0 Kudos
Gnirheg
Contributor
Contributor

After many hours of research and identifying possible problem areas, the issue has been resolved.

I will post my findings in the next few days.

0 Kudos
phoenix73
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for contacting me, I will be out of the office Jan 16th through Jan 20th. I will have limited access to email and voicemail during this time causing some of my responces to be delayed. If you have a time sensative request and need assistance in my absence please email presales group at MilestoneUSPreSalesGroup@milestone.us or call 503 350 1163 and leave me a message. I will answer all inquiries as soon as I am able. If you need a technical support questions answered please call 877 350 1101 option 2

0 Kudos
KJHG87t
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I was wondering if you could post the solution to your problem? I seem to be experiencing the same problem. Thanks for your help in advance!

0 Kudos
dales123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi I appear to be having a similar issue with workstation 8. I use workstation mostly for nested esxi and xenserver testing and the vi client and xencenter both randomly disconnect whether the clients are running on the host or a networked client. Is this a new bug or something within workstation 8 as I dont think I'ved noticed this problem up until recently?

Kind Regards Dale VCP3+5
0 Kudos
Gnirheg
Contributor
Contributor

Often one overlooks the obvious and attempts to find elaborate solutions to the problem at hand when in fact a simpler solution exists.

Initially I played around with the ESET firewall and HIPS software and found that when these components were disabled my problems dissappeared.    Firewall and HIPS rules were applied to allow connectivity from the Windows 7 host to the VMWare virtual hosts without having to disable any of the ESET security features.     

Later I discovered the purpose of the host-based and bridged network adapters as oposed to my original use of a NATted network adapter.  The host-based network was for internal communication whereas the bridged network allowed internet connectivity.    

Then I purchased a new HP LaserJet 400 colorMFP M475dw device.  This device is designed to operate in a medium sized business network with centralised administration and so problems arose.

Eventually I decided to uninstall the ESET security suite, clean the registry and re-install ESET again, but without importing the configuration settings I had applied earlier.    Starting up the VMware virtual hosts, I set about testing the connectivity from the Windows 7 host to the VMware virtual hosts and was pleasantly surprised that inter-connectivity between all the applications on the Windows 7 host communicated perfectly and without noticeable degradation in performance or functionality.

The solution was simply attributed to the configuration of host-based and bridged network adaptors.