VMware Communities
caddyjoe77
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Workstation 8.1 on Linux-Having trouble with iso files/vm prebuilt

Hello

First, thank you for reading this post and seeing if we can track this issue down.

I have tried several different Linux distro's with VMWare Workstation 8.1 on my Linux Machine (Ubuntu 10.04) and have had problems when trying to build a new VM from an iso file.  The iso's in particular are the SANS SIFT workstation, versions 2.0 and 2.12 as well as backtrack 5 r1.  Before you wonder, I am working on my digital forensic diploma so I am not doing anything malicious.

Basically, what happens is when I try to use the iso to load the operating system once it has booted into it's live CD X session(usually GNOME), there is usually an option to install to disk.  When I selecct this option, everything appears to work, until I get to about 50 percent and the system installer throws an I/O error.

The first thing I did was verified the MD5's matched to ensure I received the entire image, which both checked out.  Then, even though the permissions were 755 with my user and group owning the files, I went ahead and set it to 777.  But I still received the same error.  I have tried virtualbox with backtrack and had no problems, so I know that iso file is good to go.  SIFT does not work; which brings me to my next question.

SAN's, who develops SIFT, have also created a vmdk for a prebuilt system.  When I use VMPlayer to try and load it, the system asks me if i moved it or copied it.  By default it recommends stating that you copied it.  Going that route, gives you the same problem as selecting move.  Basically, the GUID of the disk used is hard coded and I get dropped to the initramfs area.  There is no /etc/fstab or anything there that I can edit appropriately.

I have attached two screenshots so that you can see what I mean. The first is what the system thinks my disk uuid is, and the second is what they actually are.

Screenshot-GUIDWrong.png

Screenshot-blkid_output.png

0 Kudos
3 Replies
srnhpp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Looked at your link - great - your random-link generator seems to work nicely. :smileyangry:

At OP
I wanted to download Sift-workstation anyway - if you give me the link to what you use I can assist once I downloaded it

0 Kudos
caddyjoe77
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

yes, the link is here: http://computer-forensics.sans.org/community/downloads

Thank you, and if you have any ideas please let me know.  I am not sure about the iso file, but as far as the vmdk goes, I think that the virtual disk id is not the same, and so far I have not been able to make it use the one that i generated with the blkid command.

Interested to see if someone else can duplicate my problem.

Thanks again

0 Kudos