VMware Communities
Joseph_Barron
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Workstation 7 on Windows 7 x64 Operation Failed on VMDK file

Getting the following error on VMWare Workstation 7.0.1 on a new Windows 7 64bit Home Premium System.

Operation on file "E:\VMWare Machines\PBDevelopment\Windows Professional-

0000005.vmdk" failed.

If this file resides on a remote file system, please make sure your network

connection and the server where the disk resides are functioning properly. If the file

resides on removable media, reattach the media.

Choose Return to attemp the operation again.

Choose Abort to terminate this session

Choose Continue to forward the error to the guest operating system.

() Retry

() Abort

() Continue

The problem seems to occur only when the amount of RAM the VMs are set to consume is greater than 1.5GB in total. So if I have a single Windows XP VM running with 2GB I get the error. If I have two VMs of Windows XP and one is 1GB and the other is 1GB it fails.

If I have only one running at 1GB it never fails. If I have one at 1GB and 1 at 512MB it does not fail.

I have set a number of combinations in the memory setup and it occurs no matter if I allow or dont allow swap.

The machine is a Toshiba Qosmio notebook X505-Q880 with:

- I7 Processor

- 6GB RAM

- 1 65 GB Solid state hard drive (only OS and certain programs, not VMWare)

- 500 GB SATA drive, where VM Ware program and VM Machines reside.

I've been using one VM machine with 1GB and it has been operating flawlessly for weeks. Running DB apps, development tools, etc. Even added the extra VM with 512 for a week or so, no problem. But when the amount of RAM is approaching or above 2GBs, it blows up with the error and I have to abort.

No OS errors reported.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

can you post a recent vmware.log from one of your VMs - so that we can inspect your configuration ?

VMX-parameters- Workstation FAQ -[ MOA-liveCD|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
petevick
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

did you ever solve this - I appear to be getting the same problem on a Toshiba laptop with 6gb. When I go back to 4gb all is OK

thanks

Pete

0 Kudos
petevick
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

got an update on this - works a treat

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1506444#1506444

Thanks

0 Kudos