VMware Communities
thunderman74
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Workstation 7 Time

Anybody know how to fix the time in Workstation 7. Ever since the DST change, my Windows XP VM clock is 1 hour behind my windows 7 clock. I have tried everything:

1) Set VMWare Tools to Synchronize

2) Tried auto syncronize with time servers via internet

3) Checked my CMOS time

Nothing I do seems to get my clock back on track. Any ideas?

Thanks a bunch in advance!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

What time server(s) is the VM (and even your host) set to use?? If it's the windows one, you need an actual time server that works 100% of the time. Use this site to find the server(s) to specify for your area: http://www.pool.ntp.org/en/ I find that inputing more than one server for the region makes the time updates highly reliable and accurate. Since I'm in the US, I use 0.us.pool.ntp.org through 3.us.pool.ntp.org (the north-america ones work too)...

VCP4

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the forums!

If the guest is always and exactly one hour behind the host you can't fix set by using the VMWare Tools synchronization. That looks like a wrong time zone in the guest.

Please make sure that host and guest are in the required timzones (can be different). Use only one time synchronization mechanism. Either the VMWare Tools or Windows Time. If you use the latter one check if there are errors or warning in the System Event log coming from W32Time.

Check that there is not the delta time parameter in the guest .vmx file: "rtc.diffFromUTC"

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

Also, what version of Windows are you running on the guest? When was the last time you ran the Windows update item and pulled down all the updates related to DST/time zone changes?

VCP4

0 Kudos
thunderman74
Contributor
Contributor

Guest (Windows XP x32 SP3:

1) VMWare Tools set to synchronize

2) Timezone Eastern and Automatically adjust clock for daylight saving changes

3) Internet time set to automatically synchronize with an internet time server (time.nist.gov)

4) no rtc settings set in the vmx file

Host (Windows 7 x64)

1) Timezone Eastern and Automatically adjust clock for daylight saving changes

2) Internet time set to not synchronize with an internet time server

Hope this helps as this problem is very bothersome Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

When was the last time you ran Windows Update on the guest (at least)? Disable the VMware tools time sync. Use a better time server set (0.us.pool.ntp.org; 1.us.pool.ntp.org; 2.us.pool.ntp.org to start with).

VCP4

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Change to one type of time synchronization, first.

Either use VMware Tools and disable the Windows service or vice versa.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
thunderman74
Contributor
Contributor

Ok...fixed the issue. My guest was thinking that DST started on April 4th :-). So updated the dst from microsoft and whallah..it is working just fine.

Thanks very much for the insight!

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

Good to hear that the update resolved it... It sounded like a missing Windows update was the real culprit... I would still recommend shifting over to better time servers (the ones I mentioned above)... I've used the pool.ntp.org servers in many different environments and they always update. The same cannot be said of the others (especially the default ones in Windows)...

VCP4

0 Kudos