VMware Communities
SteveDavidson
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Workstation 6.5 with 32bit op sys and lots (20 gig) of memory

I am running workstation 6.5 on a machine that has a single 3.0 gigahertz quad core cpu. The machine came originally with 4 gig of memory (4 sticks of 1 gig each). The host operating system is xp professional sp2. I purchased 16 additional gig of memory (4 * 4) with the intention of building 8, 2 gig virtual machines. I can power up one 2 gig virtual machine, but I get a 'not enought physical' memory error when I try to power up any additional. I have read through the threads that suggest checking the vmware.log, and also the config.ini but I don't see what might be wrong. I am attaching those files for your perusal.

My question is, should I be able to do this with a 32 bit operating system or, in order for the memory to be available to the virtual machines, do I need to be running a 64 bit host?

I added the "prefvmx.allVMMemoryLimit = "3000"" parameter to the config.ini and restarted workstation, then restarted my machine but no difference.

Thanks....

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
rbphilip
Contributor
Contributor

In order to use all that memory, your host operating system needs to be a 64-bit OS. I use XPx64, but Vista 64 or a 64-bit Linux would work just as well.

0 Kudos
SteveDavidson
Contributor
Contributor

testing - can I just respond from email and have it included in the thread?

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 5:38 PM, rbphilip

0 Kudos