VMware Communities
pavelsor
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWare Workstation 6.5.0 build-118166 - Ubuntu 8.04LTS as host - Menu + Statusbar corrupted after return from full screen

When i switch to full screen, the small toolbar, which can be used to switch back (on top of the screen) is empty (missing all graphics) but works (when i click on the spot where the button should be, it does what it should). When i return from full screen, all toolbars menus and statusbars is missing (aka empty) but also works (i can click on the spot where the file menu should be and it displays file menu etc...). I have two monitors, but use only one for full screen. Any ideas?

Pavel

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Any ideas?

Full screen (and especially dual monitors) is a little unstable on Linux, can't speak for Windows. If you hide both panels (Gnome) before going to full screen, that helps. There are some other problems where the keyboard "special characters" (shift a special character?) don't work after returning from full screen. There is a thread about that, it has been running for several weeks. I have much fewer problems with Ubuntu after removing compiz but I am moving back to openSUSE which seems to play nicer with VMWare. I am also trying out Xen on openSUSE.

Edit: If you don't use dual monitors, try using Quick Switch instead of Full Screen and see if that is "close enough".

Lou

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Any ideas?

Full screen (and especially dual monitors) is a little unstable on Linux, can't speak for Windows. If you hide both panels (Gnome) before going to full screen, that helps. There are some other problems where the keyboard "special characters" (shift a special character?) don't work after returning from full screen. There is a thread about that, it has been running for several weeks. I have much fewer problems with Ubuntu after removing compiz but I am moving back to openSUSE which seems to play nicer with VMWare. I am also trying out Xen on openSUSE.

Edit: If you don't use dual monitors, try using Quick Switch instead of Full Screen and see if that is "close enough".

Lou

0 Kudos
pavelsor
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I don't use Gnome, i have XFCE (so better to say that i am using xubuntu) with one panel, hiding wont help.

I don't use Compiz/Beryl/Any composition thing either (they look nice, but is too buggy for me, i use computer as a tool not as a toy)

"Special keys"? Well, numlock is kind of weired. It works, but the led on the keyboard doesn't, but i can live with that.

Quick Switch - i somehow overlooked that, but tried and yes, it works for me, all toolbars and menus are OK and this is suitable for me. When statusbar is turned off, it covers whole screen so i have enough space and that is what i want. Thanks.

0 Kudos
nkrick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just to let you know, I found that using VMplayer is also a good option (if you don't need any of the "advanced" workstation functionality). I experienced the same problem in Xfce (I have never had an issue in gnome) with corrupt windows. I also was unable to make a VM use more than a single monitor with dual head in Xfce. If I use VMplayer instead, everthing works great. The only problem I have with VMplayer is that CtrlAlt (in order to use CtrlAltdirection arrow to change desktops) will place the VM back to a window when using full screen (single or multiple screens). I found the workaround for that problem is to pin the VMware bar to the top of the screen and then move my mouse to the bar before hitting CtrlAlt.

0 Kudos