VMware Communities
ShaneV
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Workstation 6.02 performance issues

I would have posted this as a bug in the support issue, but as an early adopter one license user, I only paid the upgrade fee (for each version of VMware from 2-6, for 1 I paid the price at the time).

In any case, now that I installed 6.02 and the new vmware tools, using a Windows 2000 SP4 guest on a Windows XP SP2 host, the shared folders are very, very slow. Slower than a vpn over a <500Kbs connection (because that is much faster). At first I though the VPN was the problem, but alas it's the shared folders.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

Shared folders are slow.

Use a "normal" Windows share instead.

0 Kudos
ShaneV
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Two points:

1. I have sharing disabled on my host, which is why I use the shared folders.

2. This wasn't an issue with 6.01 and earlier

One of the reasons to buy VMWare workstation is the shared folders option (in addition to the snapshot tree, and the screen scaling). I would hate to see that VMWare is killing off a great feature (which worked great for me prior to 6.02).

0 Kudos
ShaneV
Contributor
Contributor

Additional information:

Doing a dir on the shared folder in the guest, the dir will hang this is probably the slow issue. I think there might be a problem with getting the free space on the shared drive (it always reports zero). If that is the slow issue, maybe just code it report zero rather than having it hang because of it (since it's not reading the free space anyways).

Just an observation.

Another one would be, why is this performance downgrade released to the general public as an upgrade? I don't mind doing beta testing, at least I can enter support requests and get responses from VMWare, but with this "minor" upgrade I can't enter an SR and this is not a good thing, in my opinion.

0 Kudos
ShaneV
Contributor
Contributor

I rolled back to 6.01, and the performance is much better.

6.02 is the worst upgrade I have ever seen from VMWare since Version 1 came out.

Just my opinion.

0 Kudos
ShaneV
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare should have a "beta" program for the updates, and encourage feedback to avoid problems like this.

0 Kudos
clive_long
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I upgraded from 6.0.0 to 6.0.2 because of "random" high CPU in the guest and crashes in the host while running VM.

Now, shared folders do not work. Under VM 6.0.0 I used to open the folder in the VM the open the mapped drive in the guest. Now when I try to open the mapped drive the guest, Win XP states the drive (Z: in my case) is not found on the network.

Host: Fedora 7, kernel 2.6.21

Guest: Win XP SP2

Clive

0 Kudos
nextech
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ShaneV,

By any chance do you have a Gigabit ethernet adapter in your host machine? I had a similar problem, and have noticed that it's very common with Intel 1000 Gigabit Ethernet adapters in the host machine. The problem seems to be related to "Large Send Offload v2" being enabled on the host machine's network adapter. I posted the correct solution to this problem here:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1191790#1191790

I hope this helps, I believe this should solve your problem. Please

close this thread out, and mark it as "Answered" and If you find

this answer helpful, please do take the time to award me the "Correct Answer" points.

Thank-you!

Mark

0 Kudos