VMware Communities
Tonino1
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Workstation 16

Hello everyone,

I created my windows image to do some tests, I don`t know what happened but my pc restarted while the vm was running, and now it`s not working. I`m not giving u all the details because I don`t care to get back my vm I just would like to know since I had some data saved on the browser inside my vm, is there a way to get those data and transfer them on a clean image?

Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
mhb4ever
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

you need tool to recover data from corrupt vm

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It depends on how it is “not working” and how the VM was configured in terms of disks/partitions/data.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Tonino1
Contributor
Contributor

Basically my pc turned off because of inactivity and Idk what happened to the vm but when I got back there was a message like "This virutal machine appears to be in use, take ownership.." or something like that. I checked in the vm folder and I noticed that I have multiples vmdk files and half of them are only 512kb while the others are like 2/3GB each

0 Kudos
Tonino1
Contributor
Contributor

What does that means? 

• Take the backup file of the original VMDK file.
  • Create the pointer of that file in the system.
  • Change the fields and then save the changes.
  • Now the boot the virtual machine to fix the damaged file.

How am I supposed to create a pointer and what fields should I change?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Does the VM's folder contain any .lck files or folders?
You may delete these, and see whether it helps.

André

0 Kudos
Tonino1
Contributor
Contributor

yes I the deleted the lck folders and files multiple times but nothing changed 

0 Kudos